I need a chef's opinion about schools

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by sharona27, Nov 15, 2004.

1. sharona27

sharona27

Hi I am looking to attend culinary school. I wanted some thoughts (good and bad) on culinary schools. I want to know what you think about the French Culinary Institute in New York city, The Institute of Culinary Education also in New York city, and Apicius The Culinary Institute of Florence Italy. Any input would be helpful. Have you hired any of these graduates? Do these schools have good reputations? I would like people in the business to tell me real things. The schools have great things to say about themselves (of course), but I want an industry member's point of view. Thanks.

2. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm a graduate of the CIA in hyde park and it's my feeling that all culinary schools are good but it all depends on the students williness to learn on there own. There all going to teach you basic cooking techniques but it is souly up to the individual to take it further. Some schools have different teaching techniques such as more class-room and less hands on. You should determine the best way you learn wether it's from a book or actually doing it (hands-on). Then decide on what school is going to cater to your style of learning and also what you intend on doing with the education after you recive it, such as being a chef or more into the management end of the business. Good Luck :chef:

3. cyberchef

cyberchef

Say school for me was the best thing I ever did.I feel with out classical training you would be years behind someone with schooling.
    The CIA was like a mecca for foodies and chefs for me made great friends and culinary connections that I take to the bank every 2 weeks.

LIVE TO EAT NOT EAT TO LIVE
    Http://home.si.rr.com/chefmattspage/

4. hereb

hereb

Provided an individual has the proper motivation and drive to make the culinary experience work for them...living on the western side of the states I have been told that Western Culinary Institute in Portland would be a good choice, but if I wanted to assure that my culinary career had the best opportunities to attend the CIA. When I looked at the tuition they are very comparable. So my questions are-

1) Is the CIA that much better?
    2) Regarding the CIA, why is the Hyde Park campus rated number 1, yet the Greystone campus is down in the 40's?
    3) Besides the individual having a more 'well rounded' education with the BS vs the AOS, is the BS beneficial for the extra $$$ and time?

5. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Every time someone posts one of these questions, I must pipe up and say a word for my alma mater, The New England Culinary Institute. As Riverrun said, all culinary schools are good (though I am dubious about J&W), but NECI has the advantages offered by 100% real world training in 8 restaurants, 2 paid internships and a guaranteed 7:1 student:teacher ratio (not just a stat, no class is allowed to have more than 7 students). The CIA, for all its well-deserved accolades, can't say that; and neither can FCI, ICE or anyone else.

If you're willing to go to Italy, I highly recommend that you take a look at the new University of Gastronomic Sciences in Pollenzo.

Best of luck!

6. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    School is very important, but equally so is where you work afterwords. Don't look for the big money, work for chefs who inspire you and are willing to teach!