I need a chef's knife but don't have a lot to spend....

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by suzbarker, Jun 2, 2014.

1. suzbarker

suzbarker

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello and WOW  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif! The sheer amount of information here is amazing...

As such, I'm a bit lost  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif. I just need a good knife to start myself off. I get that nobody is really a fan of "sets" so I just want to know, with little to spend mind you, what do I need to look for in my search? Can anyone just give me the basics?

Thanks in advance!!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Susie

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
  3. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    i just clicked that link out of curiosity and the first thing that popped up was a ryoba deba (double sided deba)... thats not even a chefs knife... its a fish knife.  Based on the majority of knives i see on there, you're probably better off asking a knife-geared forum like kitchenknifeforums.com or kitchenknifefora.com.  However, they have their downfalls too... they will likely recommend only or mostly japanese kitchen knives or custom makers.  Temper that info with a bit of what you have here, and you should have a pretty good view on where you stand and what likely makes sense.

4. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    How much are you trying to spend? Is this for your home?

5. suzbarker

suzbarker

Exp:
    At home cook
    Grande,

Yes. It is for my home. I'd like to spend less than $50. Not sure if that's possible.

6. jbroida

jbroida

Exp:
    Former Chef
    forschner/victorinox always works in that range (under $50 for sure... closer to $30)

7. suzbarker

suzbarker

Exp:
    At home cook
  8. knifesavers

knifesavers

Exp:
    Other
  9. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  10. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook

11. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook

12. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Forget these kullens. They are not very effective, reduce considerably the blade's life span, make good thinning impossible and above all, are ugly.

13. knifesavers

knifesavers

Exp:
    Other
    There is only one proper Granton edge and that is the ones on a true Granton knife.

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/granton_edge_knives.html

FWIW I agree with Benuser that for the most part they are a pointless waste. The only ones that are really effective are true Grantons and massive scallops like Glestain does.

The skinny ones like that Victorinox have just collect grunge. I pull lots of muck out of kullens and the thinner they are the worse it gets.

Jim

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    +1 Benuser. Unuseful and ugly.

15. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm surprised the knowledgeable guys here haven't mentioned it yet but ordinary steels just ruin your edge, an Idahone would be the way to go here.  But before that, how do you think you want to go in the way of sharpening?

If you are thinking of a pull-thru, a decent one will cost you about twice that of the knife.  A combination waterstone can be had for around $50.  Then a cheap India combination for as little as $10, though spending 20-30 on a decent India or Crystolon would be well worth it.

Rick

16. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook

17. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The honing rod costs steel by fatiguing it, but you only see it later, when stone sharpening again. Far more has to got removed after steeling. The fatigued steel won't take an edge.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook

19. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Better make a few edge trailing (stropping) strokes on a 2k.

20. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It takes very little pressure to realign an edge.  The tiny contact surface of a grooved steel digs right in and tears up, turning your knife into a hacksaw, as well as excessively fatiguing the edge.  I recall reading about this over 30yr ago by an individual who did considerable research in the area, BDL mentioned his name in a post but I forget it now, so this is nothing new.  Yet a sweet mystery of life is that knife companies keep making and selling them and culinary schools keep encouraging their use.

A leather strop does the best job of realigning, but a fine ceramic hone is far better than a conventional steel.  And as the blade dulls a few extra strokes will also provide some fine-stone sharpening.

For steeling I use an Arkansas stone on which I've rounded one edge.  My knives are of relatively soft steel yet my go-to knife, a mere Ikon 9" slicer, only sees the waterstones maybe 3 times a year in ordinary home use, and is still nearly hair-whittling sharp at those times, such that many folks wouldn't even bother yet with sharpening.

Rick

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014