I just want to cook

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jamieloo, May 24, 2006.

1. jamieloo

jamieloo

Exp:
    At home cook
    In reading all of the posts, all over the boards, I've come to realize I don't want to be a fancy shmancy chef in a fancy shmancy French restaurant. Kuddos to those who do, but it's just not in me. I grew up in the South and that's my heritage. I cook good, Southern, Cajun cuisine. As Jamie Foxx says as Ray..."I'm gone' make it do what it do."

I thought I wanted to open up my own catering business, but I don't. I don't want to mess with little crackers and spreads or ice sculptures to keep up with the next caterer. I thought I wanted to work in a restaurant and that's partly true. I think I've come to the conclusion that I just want to open up a small, country-inn type restaurant that serves good, down-home cooking with a special on the menu every now and then. Or maybe a bed and breakfast. Simplicity. That's what I want. I want a simple place that I can cook my food that people absolutely love and I want them to come in and feel like they're at grandma's for Thanksgiving. These boards have been very cool providing me with such insight and clarity. Props to those who have such a sophisticated palate!

Oh, and I've been to Emeril's Del Monico in New Orleans and it is to DIE FOR!!! My next goal is to go to the Lady & Sons in Savannah.

2. andrew563

andrew563

By all means , go for your dream. Tell you what, when i am off work(which is rare) I actually crave plain old food. I love to find a great little diner where I can just eat.

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jamieloo, do what makes you happy. I have worked in just about every type of establishment there is, and when you get right down to it, an egg, is an egg, is an egg. Some people want a french omelet some want 2 over easy. There is enough people that we can all satisfy whatever itch we have. Learn what you can and do what makes you happy, that will make everyone else happy.

4. jamieloo

jamieloo

Exp:
    At home cook
    "an egg is an egg" -haha that was so funny but so true!!!

Yeah, don't get me wrong - boy do I love to go into a fancy restaurant and have GREAT food like seared tuna with a sophisticated sauce and side. Two of the best meals I've ever had was a veal dish with a crabmeat mixture on top with a delicious cream sauce, and this lobster ravioli that I had back home. I'm just saying for me, personally, I LOVE southern food. I grew up eating very spicy, cajun foods and that's what I find most comfort in. Does it motivate me to create an "artist palate on a plate?" No. It's beautiful when others do it, but it just doesn't float my boat. I'm about making relationships when I cook. That's why the more personal bed & breakfast or small "inn" type deal. I want to (try) and meet every person who comes in because I love to meet people. (My most favorite cook is Paula Deen) A lot of people have jeered the Food Network shows on here, but I absolutely love her. She embodies southern hospitality and you can tell she puts so much pride and love into her dishes.

Ok ....well I just watched the ultimate chef deal on Bravo and I KNEW it was going to be Harold.

5. nowiamone

nowiamone

Here's the surprise......... you still have to cook what people want to buy and eat. I actually think 80% of my customers know what they want when they pull in the parking lot; they like to read the specials, but they know what they want. I'm not really complaining, as we have 5-6 items on the menu that people come back for, they love and crave; but it does stifle my creative side a bit.