I just hied my first apprentice.....

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by my mojo, Mar 10, 2006.

1. my mojo

my mojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well i'm looking for some curriculiam. Or at least something to help direct or "schoolin'".
    I'm an Exc. Chef with a privatly run Embassy Suites and did no formal schooling of my own. Lots of hard work w/ old school french chefs, lots of travel, and a whole lotta luv. I've got and 1st. addition C.I.A that will help and form state HAACP DVD's, but so for that it any suggestions? :chef:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk. I'm going to move your request out of the Welcome Forum (it's just for introductions) to a Chefs' forum where it'll get the answers you're looking for.

Enjoy the site!

Mezzaluna

3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I think the ACF, http://www.acfchefs.org, sponsers an apprentice program that helps the master/mentor with that kind of stuff.

If your aprentice has funds trouble, you should try to setup a payroll deduction plan for him to finance the purchase of the essiantial books.

You should definatly encourage him to get:

The Art and Science of Culinary Preperation by Jerad Chesser (Required reading for ACF certifications)

On Food and Cooking by Harold Magee

Culinary Artistry

Larouse Gastronomique, La Repritoire de Cuisine, and a copy of Esscoffier if you cook that kind of stuff at work...