i have a question about knife skill

Joined Sep 19, 2020
hello guys i am new to the forum.

I would like to ask a question about the guillotine and glide/rock chopping method of cutting

ok my question is using this technique of rock chopping/ guillotine and glide as in the video I link below which is set at (0:44) I understand the down and through motion my problem is with the Lateral movement how do you move the knife laterally I cant move it Laterally without lifting it completely off the cutting board

Joined Sep 19, 2020
like how would you move the knife laterally without lifting it completely off the board ?

Joined May 5, 2010
Keep the point of the blade at a single position, then just use you arm to move the knife from left to right over that which your are cutting.

Joined Sep 19, 2020
Keep the point of the blade at a single position, then just use you arm to move the knife from left to right over that which your are cutting.
look at the video in my first post, you can repeat the circular motion of rock chopping but the knife will stay at the same place, how do you move it towards your guide hand (laterally) in order to make your next cut?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
You practice eventually it will be second nature/muscle memory. Use a pinch grip, but don't clench the knife. You need to relax while still maintaining control of the blade. If you fight it you will tire yourself out and never get through a shift.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If you're just doing a rough dice/chop and symmetry doesn't matter, the tip of the blade remains stationary and in contact with the cutting surface while the middle/back portion of the blade that's doing the cutting is moved from right to left (if you're right handed).

If you're doing more precise cuts, you move the ingredients forward with your thumb in a motion similar to how your depress the plunger on a syringe while your fingers hold the ingredients and the knuckle of your index finger remains in constant contact with the side of the blade acting as a guide. All four fingers are tucked under to ensure they don't get cut.

It will feel awkward at first but, with time, it will become second nature. Don't try for speed. You will cut yourself. Instead, work on precision. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. After a while, the speed will come.

Good luck. :)

Joined May 25, 2015
look at the video in my first post, you can repeat the circular motion of rock chopping but the knife will stay at the same place,

Look at it again. The knife does not stay in the same place. (I hope you are not watching it on your phone!)

Joined Sep 19, 2020
Look at it again. The knife does not stay in the same place. (I hope you are not watching it on your phone!)

i know it isnt supposed to stay at the same place......
i am asking how to move the knife laterally when rock chopping/guillotine and glide

Joined Sep 19, 2020
If you're just doing a rough dice/chop and symmetry doesn't matter, the tip of the blade remains stationary and in contact with the cutting surface while the middle/back portion of the blade that's doing the cutting is moved from right to left (if you're right handed).

If you're doing more precise cuts, you move the ingredients forward with your thumb in a motion similar to how your depress the plunger on a syringe while your fingers hold the ingredients and the knuckle of your index finger remains in constant contact with the side of the blade acting as a guide. All four fingers are tucked under to ensure they don't get cut.

It will feel awkward at first but, with time, it will become second nature. Don't try for speed. You will cut yourself. Instead, work on precision. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. After a while, the speed will come.

Good luck. :)
but if the tip remains stationary you will make accordion cuts from what i understand the knife needs to move laterally but I don't understand how without losing contact with the board

Joined May 25, 2015
LOOK AT THE VIDEO AGAIN! Pay close attention to the tip of the knife in relation to the cutting board. He DOES lift the knife and you can see it move from right to left. Look at the score marks on the board as a reference.

Joined Sep 19, 2020
LOOK AT THE VIDEO AGAIN! Pay close attention to the tip of the knife in relation to the cutting board. He DOES lift the knife and you can see it move from right to left. Look at the score marks on the board as a reference.
he does not lift the knife completely off the board in order to move laterally like in push cut ….
how does he move it laterally ?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
but if the tip remains stationary you will make accordion cuts from what i understand the knife needs to move laterally but I don't understand how without losing contact with the board
The tip moves or it can remain still. The neat part is you get to decide. Practice. Find other videos. This is not rocket surgery. :)

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
How do you steer ice skates?
Same idea as you lift for the next stroke.

Joined May 1, 2019
hello guys i am new to the forum.

I would like to ask a question about the guillotine and glide/rock chopping method of cutting

ok my question is using this technique of rock chopping/ guillotine and glide as in the video I link below which is set at (0:44) I understand the down and through motion my problem is with the Lateral movement how do you move the knife laterally I cant move it Laterally without lifting it completely off the cutting board
Youre talking to some folk that have been doing this for two life times i would take what they say with great consideration these guys are no geeks on the street they are handy with the steel if you know what I mean. Just practice instead of asking how, you really can't grasp shit if you are not physically doing it yourself unless you are AI.

Joined Sep 19, 2020
please take a look at his explanation is this how you are supposed to move the knife laterally ?

Top Bottom