I guess it's my turn for an update

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Well, nothing momentous but I've kind of taken a turn out into left field. About three months ago I took a position as the chef for a non-profit. Our mission is to work with special forces and special operations vets and their families as they transition into civilian life. We have a big campus in Montana way out in the woods; it used to be a high end fishing camp/resort until our founder bought it lock, stock and barrel. So now I'm working just inside the Gallatin Forest, right between Bozeman and Big Sky. It's a very different pace than I'm used to! At the most we have 20-30 guests/clients, all special ops guys that are mustering out and their families. They hike, do classes, do yoga (!), and basically just work to get their hearts and souls right and to reintegrate back into their families. So far it's extremely rewarding. Last class one of the guys gave me a Challenge Coin. I was very moved.

Our next program will be for the guys, their wives and their kids. The kids will legit be making fires in the woods with a bow drill and learning to shoot a bow and arrow. There's a mini-survival school for the kids to bond with their fathers, run by a SERE instructor.

It's very different working for a non-profit, especially one that's intentionally non-profit. ;) We do have numbers to meet for costs, etc but nothing like a regular restaurant or hotel. And things are pretty informal for the most part. If I'm bored in the kitchen I can grab a maul and go split wood for the fireplace! The pay is actually pretty good and it's weird to have benefits paid for!:eek::p

For a while I was thinking about doing a shift a week for my old company just to keep a hand in the restaurant game. But with each passing week I feel a lot less like going back to the insanity.:rofl: It's only been a few months but I think I could get used to it.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Wow that is so cool. I've always wondered what these kinds of jobs would be like, maybe even build a fire in the woods and roast a whole animal.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
No fires in the woods we have enough problem in the PNW. Good luck with the new gig, it sounds great. Don't be a glutton for punishment, enjoy having some free time in a great area..The Best........ChefBillyB

Joined Aug 23, 2008
Unless there's a supply of hardwood nearby, that area is mostly pine, which is not good for grilling or smoking. That sounds like a gig up my alley. I do a hunting camp out of Alpine, Wyoming, in the fall with a good base salary (1099) and great tips. The only drawback? It's too short.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Ah, Montana...never been there. But I grew up in Saskatchewan, lots of clear blue sky and murderous winters. Sounds like a good gig, it’s not often you see your guests face to face, let alone do stuff with them.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
I do see the guests a fair bit depending on the program we have going. But they're really appreciative and good folks as a rule. Mostly I just see 'em at meal time though.

Joined Aug 23, 2008
I do see the guests a fair bit depending on the program we have going. ...
When I worked at a recovery home, I interacted with the residents throughout the day. As a the only man working in a all-female house, I became the "house father"! In addition to preparing two meals each weekday, shopping, planning, etc., I was able to mentor residents beyond what the professional counselors could do.

Joined Jun 22, 2018
I do see the guests a fair bit depending on the program we have going. But they're really appreciative and good folks as a rule. Mostly I just see 'em at meal time though.
It sounds pretty good to me! Especially the part about Not returning to " Insanity"..lol

Top Bottom