I grow weary of hotels.......

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by culinarian247, Aug 21, 2003.

1. culinarian247

culinarian247

Not that I am ungrateful for my experience here but I want something more. My department (banquets) allows me plenty of learning opportunities. But to be honest, unless we're doing a plate-up it's still feels like institutional cooking. I want the rush of working a line and "hooking up" nice plates. Unfortunately I can't get anyone to look at my CV in town. What can I do? I have honestly put in applications in every hotel on the strip, just not every restaurant.

Maybe I am not qualified, yet. Honestly (I really value the opinions of the CT'ers) though, would you hire someone (me) who presented these qualifications? Obviously I want to be a chef some day but I have to start as a cook and all I am seeking at this time is a position as a line cook in an upscale establishment.

(Edited to better clarify my jobs)

Catering Cook (2003 - present)
    Prepare volume and plated entrees for various catered events.

Sous Chef - Banquets (2002)
    Assist in cost control and staff scheduling. Work grill/saute station.

Banquet Cook - Caesar's Palace(2000 - 2001)
    Volume cooking for catered events.

Prep Cook / Cook's Helper - Caesar's Palace(1998 - 1999)
    Grill & Saute Station in main kitchen.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    It might help if you list some accomplishments at each job -- extra responsibilities you took on, improvements you made in procedures, that sort of thing. Otherwise you just look like this guy who keeps plugging but doesn't really improve THE PLACE.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your resume would raise a red flag for me only because of the time spent in your respective jobs.

Chefs look for stability in a resume.not so much at the begining of ones career ( we all tried a few different gigs) but as you grow,a year here or there dosen't tell the Chef that in a year or less you'll be moving on.Time is spent on training (money also)so a return on an investment is key.

You seem to have a good background ( I want to say,is this resume a progression at one hotel?or at different spots?)

4. culinarian247

culinarian247

Except for the prep cook to cook on my resume (engulfing 1998-2001) they are different jobs