I get a vacation???!

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by lynne, Dec 20, 2000.

1. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm getting out of here and to New Orleans for a cool 4 days the 2nd week of January (my first time gone since we opened the B&B! After Holiday parties, weddings, New Years and oh yeah, hosting a conference the 1st week of Jan I think I'm gonna need it!) Traded nights w/a place in NO -- and of course - I want to eat my way through NO? Where should I absolutely go? (On my previous whirlwind trip we went to Emeril's, Acme Oyster Bar, Commander's Palace and some really cool dive that I will have to try and find again...).

Anything I should see this time around?

Thanks-

lynne

2. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Did the Sazerac -- enjoyed it -- will have another...

Thanks for the suggestions Crudeau

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    hmmmm.....is Corrine Dunbar's still around?

Not to dis your selection Crudeau but have you eaten at those restaurants recently? Court of Two Sisters specifically?

Lynne I stayed at House on Bayou Road!!!Great B&B! They have just opened Indigo.
    If you have a car and want to eat in one of the best restaurants in the US Artesia in Abita Springs!
    Gabrelles
    Mothers for breakfast or lunch
    Last time I was at Commanders Palace it was mediocre (Brunch) too bad because that was one of my faves years ago.
    Gumbo Shop ....havn't been there in years but always good.
    Cafe Du Monde
    Layfettes Landing for Brunch!!!!!they have a B&B too....got raves in Southern Mag. Ihaven't been to a Folse restaurant in 5 years but he/his staff have always done top notch things with local foods.
    If you come through Baton Rouge..Sirops (lebanese!!!phenomial)
    If you drive through Crowley Boudin King
    Check out the CBD market on Julia. Sat AM 8-12
    Tuesdays Uptown Sq farmers market.
    Ugelisch if you don't mind eating fine food in a dive, in a divey neighborhood...lunch only.
    Madelines is good for a chain...corner of St. Louis Square.
    HMMMM....didn't I just come back from there, think I need another NO trip.

4. nutcakes

nutcakes

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Casamentos...for oysters/oyster loaf!!!!

6. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Don't forget to get a muffaletta at the Central Grocery on Decatur.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Or Bayonas...open for lunch too...
    make reservations for Bayonas, Indigo, Arteisa now if you want to eat a certain day and time....

8. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Made some reservations and my mouth is watering -- I can't wait!

Thought it was funny. Y'all reccomended Uglesich's and then it appeared in Saveur magazine as the "Finest Funky Restaurant in all of New Orleans!" Also featured the recipe for Shrimp Uggie.

9. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Planning on it! Gonna slurp some oysters too!!!! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by lynne (edited 12-30-2000).]

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Over Thanksgiving I went to Mother's at 6am and picked up a mess of Ham bones and bits...freezer is stocked for red beans
    I order Stansels rice...Now to cook Mardi Gras foods after 12th night.
    hmmmmmmm there is something special about New Orleans that just makes my heart sing.

Weather it's traditional or New New Orleans, it's a fun place to eat and explore.

Tried to go to Peristyle while I was down there and they were closed for the holiday
    On the side of the French Quarter and supposedly wonderful.

Margaret maybe you would remember Busters.
    Did you make it down to Burgundy?

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 01-01-2001).]

11. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm Back!...

And I enjoyed every little taste of 'Nawlins that I consumed.

I have to say Ugleisch's was my absolute hands down favorite--unfortunately I didn't make it there until the last day (or I'd have been back!) The Oyster Brie Soup, Pauls fantasy, oysters on the half shell...

Did the obligatory Brennan's and Emerils. Emeril's I think we had the "B" team--it was good but didn't have the oompf that it had last time. Brennan's did a wonderful job on their fish dishes--it's so nice to go where they know how not to overcook seafood!

Had a couple of muffalettas -- I guess I need to make some olive salad - anyone have a favourite combo they like?

Oysters at Acme (and everywhere else we went). Went to Felix's -- it was horrible. An hour wait and we were told they were out of oysters!!!!! Turns out they weren't but couldn't keep up with demand. Our alternate menu choices were cold and horrible! Acme was nice fresh and sold with just a little bit of attitude--

Couple other "neighborhood dives" -- one in the Garden District with other B&B owners. All in all a wonderful experience.

We stayed in a guest house on Algiers point. A 5 minute ferry ride -- and a quiet place to sleep!

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all!