I finally got some acceptable results for a NJ/Philly style hoagie roll

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I've made quite a few attempts over the last several years usually following a recipe I find online. Only recently did I start to learn some mistakes I was making.. key differences like how much instant yeast vs. how much active dry to use. Focusing more on getting a good bloom, getting a feel for what is a good hydration by look and feel, etc. These aren't perfect .. and I didn't need to score them but I am really happy with the flaky crust and soft crumb. The recipe I loosely based today's bake on included softened butter. I'm going to celebrate by making a big Italian sub for dinner with genoa salami, ham, and capicola!

hoagie.jpg

Joined Feb 8, 2009
If you ever lived on the East Coast you know it's all about the bread. Nice job sticking with it Eastshores, looks good. The ingredients for a great Italian sub could be found easily. The grinder rolls or Italian sub rolls would come from your favorite bakery. We would travel across town for our favorite breads. I now live out in the Pacific Northwest. I get my fix when I take my family back to NYC for a few Broadway shows every few years. I miss the great breads I grew up with in Bridgeport, Ct........ChefBillyB

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Chef BillyB! I live in FL and we do have some transplants that have sub shops and quite a few of them ship their bread in from that area! My company is headquartered in New Jersey, so over the years I've come to really appreciate the quality of the bread in those areas.. NJ, Philly, etc. I can tell the moment I walk into a sub shop if they know what they are doing because it just has a signature smell!

Joined May 4, 2005
Looks good! You reminded me to make my own soon. I have a pretty good recipe I used for a restaurant I worked at. It involves a Biga starter.

Top Bottom