I don't like eating out.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
The curse of being a good cook is that when you eat out, you tend to judge the food by the best you can make. My son took me, and his youngest son to a posh restaurant the other night. I had ribeye with compound butter, fries, and wonton wrapped brie. The steak was tender, but had very little beef flavor. The fries were too dark taking on a slight bitterness, and were limp, not crispy at all. The won ton wrapped brie was tasty, but expensive for the portion size. My son's New York strip was no beer.

The blessings of knowing how to cook well - I can choose better steaks, with better flavor, and cook them just as I want them. My fries are crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, with great potato flavor.

Now I'm not saying that I'm an amazing cook, but if I'm paying good money for a meal, I expect the establishment, especially if it's supposed to offer fine dining, to be able to serve me something that tastes great, and even better than I can make..

I know two restaurants in my home tow, Sault Ate. Marie, MI., that make the best burgers ever. The fries are hand cut, and cooked in house, and are everything a french fry should be. Both places are excellent, and definitely not posh restaurants. The malts, Sundays, burgers, their famous cold cut subs, deep fried shrooms, pizza burgers, well, you get the idea, have made both of these places so popular that people visiting the area make sure that they stop at one, or both of these places. By looking at either place, you would not expect the quality you get there. My hats off to Wicked Sisters, and the West Pier Drive-In. Honorable mention to Clyde's Drive-In.

Does anyone else have this problem with eating out?

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Dec 29, 2019
The curse of being a good cook is that when you eat out, you tend to judge the food by the best you can make. My son took me, and his youngest son to a posh restaurant the other night. I had ribeye with compound butter, fries, and wonton wrapped brie. The steak was tender, but had very little beef flavor. The fries were too dark taking on a slight bitterness, and were limp, not crispy at all. The won ton wrapped brie was tasty, but expensive for the portion size. My son's New York strip was no beer.

The blessings of knowing how to cook well - I can choose better steaks, with better flavor, and cook them just as I want them. My fries are crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside, with great potato flavor.

Now I'm not saying that I'm an amazing cook, but if I'm paying good money for a meal, I expect the establishment, especially if it's supposed to offer fine dining, to be able to serve me something that tastes great, and even better than I can make..

I know two restaurants in my home tow, Sault Ate. Marie, MI., that make the best burgers ever. The fries are hand cut, and cooked in house, and are everything a french fry should be. Both places are excellent, and definitely not posh restaurants. The malts, Sundays, burgers, their famous cold cut subs, deep fried shrooms, pizza burgers, well, you get the idea, have made both of these places so popular that people visiting the area make sure that they stop at one, or both of these places. By looking at either place, you would not expect the quality you get there. My hats off to Wicked Sisters, and the West Pier Drive-In. Honorable mention to Clyde's Drive-In.

Does anyone else have this problem with eating out?

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Its very common for restaurants run by young cooks to over-reach and serve convoluted cuisine.
Its like trying to serve baked stuffed lentils, the labor would be ridiculous, pulling it off would detract from the labor available to ensure quality of the whole menu. They fail to keep it simple.

Its always possible they don't care too.
I don't eat in restaurants period,
Paris is the exception.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We don't go out much either and if I want a burger at the local brew I bring my own bun. My doctor asked me how I've lost so much weight the past year and I reminded him that I'm allergic to 90% of the food on the shelves at the store. It's hard asking a waitress what has soy in it and what doesn't. Besides I cook - and it's better than what I can get in a restaurant. I'd love to go to Peter Luger for a steak some day, but $$$$$ way out of my budget. My wife is out of town for a few days so I invited a friend over for dinner last night. A simple meal - aglio e olio with anchovies and muddica. After he asked me for the recipe he said "this is some of the best pasta I've ever had".

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I like to go eat dim sum. I can make a good dumpling but I'm happy to trade money to save the time and gain variety as well. It's just a ton of work to make a spread of dim sum.

Similarly with pho. I do make it but I enjoy being able to get a good quality bowl at a number of places locally at a moments notice.

Steak and pasta are quick things that I agree I'll make myself better than what I can afford to eat out for.and the time investment isn't much. I'm more likely to eat a restaurant meal of something that presents a big time commitment.

Eating out is about things I'm not likely to make myself.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I eat out for the total dining experience, not just the food. Other times I eat out just to survive.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I loooooooooove eating out.

I'll chime on the I enjoy the experience horn. Its one of three cases for me when eating out.

1. Spending time and having fun with friends or potential friends without the hassle of home cooking.
2. Going there for the experience and to "taste" what people come up with.
3. To visit or support friends new places.

Going out to measure yourself against other people cooking wise doesn't translate to good time in my case. Sure checking out the competition is important but that's work, I like being able to not have that mindset all the time. I love it when I am blow away by food but I mostly enjoy the change in scenery and being on the other side every once in a while.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I like going out for dinner for the reasons brianshaw brianshaw and mgm0 mgm0 are stating.
A change of scenery, a good time with friends, and I try to order things I normally don't cook ;)

Joined Jun 7, 2021
For a great time with friends and family. I'd much rather be sitting with family, and friends on sandy beach, with clean, clear water for swimming, and a cam[fire for warmth up, kabobs, hot dogs, s'mores, and pie irons, maybe a camp Dutch oven with beans, or a cobbler. Throw in some cold watermelon, and children for a grand time.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I wince a little bit every time I part with my money. Also feels like I face a lot more arrogance from servers these days.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I wince a little bit every time I part with my money. Also feels like I face a lot more arrogance from servers these days.
Yup... me too. My wife helps with that by paying most of the bills and not telling me how much they were. I pay at restaurants and she always gives me that "tip generously or YOU won't be getting dessert tonight" look.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We were guests at a family outing to see our granddaughter off to college Saturday. It was a nice place, but there were 11 of us so some of the entrees were being held. IMO the "thin crust brick oven" pizza had too much cheese on it. It also had a lot of sausage and mushrooms and two small slices later I called it quits. The aps were good, but overall not worth what they are charging. C'mon - $19 for a "classic wedge" salad?!?!?!? I don't care that it had bacon on it. A table next to us ordered Caesar salad and they had no dressing! WTF - how hard is it to make real Caesar dressing from scratch? The only Italian place I ever went to back home (Detroit) made the dressing table side - anchovy, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and some grated Parmigiano. It takes less than two minutes. I can read a menu and tell you what I can't eat.

Top Bottom