I am serving an average of one hundred and twenty guest with only four staff....no reservations

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by scotchbonnet, Dec 16, 2014.

1. scotchbonnet

scotchbonnet

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I feel like i am serving fast food.
    This is an all inclusive hotel that refuse to use reservation on the reason that guests do not show up on time.
    Do any of you guys have similar experiences? And how many cooks do you have to handle a maximum of 170.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    4 in the kitchen.

120-170 covers.

No reservations. 

I don't see a problem here.

3. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, sounds right to me. If you cut outside expo you could even do it with three... we do most days.
    And what do reso's matter anyway, especially if your pushing average volume every day. Just be booted and suited with your station looking tight at 4 and you'll be good 😘

4. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    We push 170-220 with 3 cooks and an expo, no prep cooks set your own station.

5. scotchbonnet

scotchbonnet

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I forget to mention that service is a la carte/ fine dining. We do get thru @ the end of the night. Ijus feel that we could grt one more person especially for the salad/appetizer station...that has to replenish.

6. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Sorry my phone won't let me quote. Right now I work sautee and am training to expo, I work with 7 burners. We put out a lot of risotto and pasta. A fish app and steak special every day. Pantry here does dessert and salad. We have a grill guy who also mans the wood oven. Just remember, what doesn't kill you....

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    This will start WW 3 so has to be handled with silk gloves.......
    Your cover number is low enuf that I imagine the wait staff has time to plate salads and desserts.
    They may have to be bribed (with what is up to you ;-)

mimi

I have just become a traitor to my tribe.......

8. scotchbonnet

scotchbonnet

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Ibased cookie company. To view Janes

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What type of cuisine and what type of service??

10. scotchbonnet

scotchbonnet

Exp:
    Sous Chef

11. blueicus

blueicus

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ultimately it depends on the kitchen setup and the type of food you serve.  In a restaurant where the dishes have around 4+ touches and things are plated intricately?  I'd say 5 or 6 is reasonable.  Also depends on cheque average of course.  If they're low then you can't afford as much staff, but if it's higher then you can afford more.  If the room is smaller you can usually make do with a smaller staff than in a room that is larger and you do more bills at once.

At the restaurant I'm working at we have a staff of up to 4 and a dishwasher to do up to around 120, food is fairly involved.  However, we have a very inefficient kitchen (it's incredibly long)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    spoiledbroth likes this.