Hullo, I'm just an enthusiast

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by amw5g, Jan 8, 2002.

1. amw5g

amw5g

Hey there. Been reading this board for a few weeks now, figured I'd actually register. I'm currently in a completely different field, but am looking to take some culinary courses from a local CC once I get my act together. I'll also probably try to get some volunteer work in so that I don't get myself in over my head. My dad is a kitchen whiz and I feel that I really aprpeciate the process of farm to table. It's just very difficult to turn down a steady paycheck at the moment.
    As for some particulars, my fiancee is cajun/French (from Louisiana) and I've really been into that cuisine since tasting the cooking from her home. The mom & g-moms make some good grub! So I've been working on roux-based dishes, american seafood and the like. Both of her brothers work in a restaurant in Williamsburg, VA- one in the front and one in the back. My ideal scenario would be to get with them, and start a cajun themed restuarant that's more authentic than the usual ubiquitous po' boys and blackened <insert animal here>.
    Well I've droned on enough. Any thoguhts on the cajun theme? Been thinking of naming our firstborn (should there be one) Tony Chachere if it's a boy, Zatarain if it's a girl;)
    Cheers y'all!
    Andrew

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Welcome amw5g!

Hmmmm. Williamsburg! Great place. historical with great places to eat.

Good luck to your plans and of course to the new member to be in your family!( If I understood well you will have one soon)
    I leave you to the pros.

Wise signature, I hope it doesn't puts you in trouble.

:)

3. amw5g

amw5g

Please Lord, I hope there isn't a wee one on the way! I was just trying to show my respect and admiration for their respective contributions to my cooking.
    You think the Sig is offensive? I'll certainly change it if that is deemed "poor taste"....
    -Andrew

4. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Relax !

I told you I like it very much
    But look where I am posting from... I am not from the States :)

It's in French anyway ;)

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Andrew, and welcome to cheftalk.

This seems like a pretty good time to go to one of the cooking forums and start a thread on the upcoming "Mardi Gras"

Tell us some of the dishes you enjoy preparing, and what do you have planned for "Fat Tuesday" ?
    Again, Welcome
    cc

6. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Andrew!

Can you speak - write - French or just quote it ? ;)

7. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Welcome, Andrew, I love cajun/creole fixins too! You HAVE to translate your signature for those of us not fortunate to speak french!;)

8. amw5g

amw5g

Cape Chef- much obliged for the welcome. I really like to prepare the more rustic dishes, such as etoufee and shrimp creole. Roux and long slow simmering result in dishes that I find complex on the palate yet with a relative minimum of ingredients. You got your trinity, yer seafood, some tomato. Yet the taste seems well beyond the capabilities of those few things.
    I also like to do up some catfish, either fried (with mustard to help the cornmeal breading stick) or broiled (a touch of lemon juice, some Tony C's and perhaps some butter). I've made a jambalaya ot two and soem gumbo, but I never take enough time with it to make it as good as her aunt's version. Plus, I haven't tried it with a turkey neck yet. For po' boys (shrimp, catfish or oyster) I like to make my own version of a remoulade. Better than many I've had at restaurants (IMHO). Shrimp in a cream reduction over top of pasta or puff pastry makes my gal go absolutely nuts- another minimum of ingredients with excellent results. Crawfish boil with corn and potatoes. And to wash all this down? Sweet tea, root beer, Abita (Turbo Dog or Purple Haze) and a lightly chilled Beaujolais.

Isa- Moi, je peux le parler et l'ecrire (pas tres bien), mais j'ai un accent parissien, non de l'arcadie ;).

marmaladay- it's a play on words. Literally, it says that it is necessary to make love before, because afterwards, it's during. Part of the "humor" is the use of the words 'before', 'after' and 'during'. However, the word "during" in french can also be translated as "hanging".
    So it is perhaps wise that one perform his marital duty 'before' because afterwards, he is usually not in the proper physical state for such a momentous task. Did that come out as inoffensive as possible? I hope so....

A plus,
    Andrew

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds like tasty stuff, Thanks for sharing.

You bring out a point in your post that is important I believe in ones approach to cuisine,Use the best ingredients,keep it simple and have someone you care for on the recieving end of your toils.
    cc

10. isa

isa

Moi j'ai l'accent quebecois mas j'imite tres bien le parisien. Et j'ecris mieux le francais que l'anglais. ;)

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You two are too literate for me! I do a passable job when speaking since I don't have to spell, which betrays my weak grammar.... :rolleyes:

Welcome, AMW. Now don't apologize and call yourself "just" an enthusiast. That's an honorable title around here!