Huitlacoche (smut by any other name)

Joined Aug 11, 2000
MY gosh there was an onslaught of responses to farmers bringing in corn smut or huitlacoche....whaddaya do with it?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
They make killer rellenos, though the filling looks a little gross. Use, jalapenos for little rellenos, just simmer the jalapenos first to soften thier fiery bite.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
F u n n y B a y o u ! !

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I thought I'd bump this one up now that Quorn is becoming more widely available in the U.S. Heck, if you can get it in Wauwautosa, Wisconsin (Outpost Natural Foods) I guess it's close to becoming a staple.

Here's their U.S. site: http://www.quorn.com/us/index.htm

Has anyone tasted this product? I'm interested in its advantageous nutritional profile: low carb, high protein, low sodium and high fiber. But if it tastes funky, I'm going to save myself a trip to the health food store...

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Huitlacloche is a fungus that grows on corn. It's as ugly as sin, but many people say it's delicious. Quorn (follow the link I posted) is a mycoprotein product. Translation: it's protein from fungi. I've never tried either item, but the Quorn (kworn) sounds intriguing.

Joined Dec 1, 2002
yeah I've seen an, i think, an enchilada-ish recipe using this stuff.
I am going to ask my friend from Mexico City about it.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
It appears to me that the aforementioned "stuff" may well have antibiotic properties. Isn't penicillin a fungus or spore? And please omit references to mushrooms.

Joined May 26, 2001
Hey, that's not as off-the-wall as you might think! I've got a recipe from Josefina Howard for a dessert sauce made with it. Supposedly comes out tasting kind of like chocolate sauce. It's huitlacoche sautéed in butter, mixed with heavy cream or evaporated skim milk, puréed, and flavored with Amontillado sherry.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Oh man, there goes my dinnner.I'm cooking a shroom dinner March 28th and am forgoing any shrooms for dessert....there are some places I just don't go.
quorn actually tastes like chicken ,REALLY> I've got some in my freezer.
huitlacoche for those that have not seen it is black and grey and looks like distended corn kernals....actually it is fungal. Alot of us shroomers claim it as one of our own.

Joined May 26, 2001
But, why wouldn't you? Aren't mushrooms fungi? So wouldn't another edible fungus be a cousin, at the very least -- even if it doesn't grow quite the same way? (as you can tell, I know very little about this branch of botany; but please teach me. :D )

Joined Aug 11, 2000
going back to KOKO's response of not mentioning shrooms....yep all fungal. The corn farmers brought some huit la coche into sell this year at my proding and many would still not taste it. Pricing it was extremely difficult for them.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Why is it that I haven't heard of these two products in California and Colorado, two states where I've lived?

Joined May 26, 2001
Maybe you don't hang out with the right crowd? :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Both are pretty specialized items -- not generally used in everyday cooking, really.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I have a friend that owns a health food store and shared quorn with us last Spring.....<really does taste like chicken adn I have NO clue how they do that......though chicken of the woods has the same taste and texture as chicken....hmmmmm>
Whole Foods was promoting Quorn here....they're a national chain....shot I'm in St. Louis and we get everything 10 years after CA isn't that right?

Huit.....Rick Bayless has cooked with it for a while and is having farmers try to propigate it....I tasted my first 4.5 years ago....I can remember sitting on the floor of my soon to be sweetie's office watching him try to pull up info on how to cook this wonderful exciting Fungus I'd found on a farm....it was difficult to come up with much...seemed like enchiladas or "cook like a mushroom", what does that mean?????
Fio, had a dinner that included huit from a can.....guess it's just not hit it's stride....

Latest posts

Top Bottom