Huge %$^&# Vegetables!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrose, May 2, 2005.

1. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    At least that's what I hope to grow this summer. I placed my orders for Bush Goliath tomatoes, Romas and Red Bell peppers, Jalapeno's and Salsa peppers. I have a Squash of unknown varitey from my neighbor, and I'm still torn for the rest at the moment. I may go with Eggplants, Beets and some Salad greens. I also am awaiting my Alaska Bountea system from John Evans. I told him I will keep a running commentary and photos of the progress. I will post them here as I go and we'll see what happens!

2. porkchops

porkchops

Then I can print them out and pin them up next to my seedlings to give them some motivation. I've lost just about all of my herbs except for parsley. The parsley seems very leggy, though. I just pinched them back to see if that would help.

The eggplants are probably doing the best, which I'm very excited about. Then the mesclun. For some reason I'm afraid of trying really big tomatoes. I'm afraid that they'll be eaten by pests before I get my hands on them. I'm probably being silly, though. Is there any particular tomato you'd recommend for a beginner? I think I was picturing plum tomatoes in my head.

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

--P

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    PC I can only tell you what John told me. AND
    So there you have it, from Mr. World Record holder himself.

4. porkchops

porkchops

I'll keep my eyes peeled for steer manure.. don't know if that kind of stuff makes it over to the city.

Epsom Salts I have plenty of, though...

Thanks! :)

M

P.S. Can't wait to get me some tomato plants!

5. redace1960

redace1960

yes! seconding the epsom salts tip. tomatoes are super sensitive to magnesium deficiency.

steer manure can be bought in sterile bags at any of the big box stores come spring and summer.

once your plants get going and are about 16 inches high, be sure and leaf the plants up about six inches from the ground so that you don't get dirty water splashing up on them when it rains...tomato leaves are fuzzy, and they catch soil-bourne diseases really easily because the little hairs trap the dirty water and don't let it run off. this will also stress the plants a little bit and make it produce a few more flowers!

god, i love tomatoes. if i could only grown one thing that would be it! :)

6. fuil moinn

fuil moinn

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Plant marigolds among the tomatoes and fewer pest insects will get the fruit :) Haven't seen a single insect on ours in the 20 years we've been doing it.