How's my first shrimp and grits?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Mar 28, 2011.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I managed to get out for the first time this season last night and harvested about a half gallon of shrimp. I decided I'd try out a classic southern dish, although it's the first time I've made it and eaten it. How'd I do? The picture is kinda bad, and yes, that is a styrofoam bowl /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[​IMG]

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Pretty enough presentation, Eastshores.

But shrimp & grits is like sex----even when it's bad, it's good. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

How'd you like the flavors?

3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I enjoyed it. I sauteed the shrimp in equal parts olive oil and butter and used a spice grinder that had a mix of rosemary, black peppercorn, sea salt, oregano, garlic, and orange and lemon peel. It's one of the simpler dishes I've done.. really cooking grits and throwing some shrimp in a frying pan is all there is to it. The satisfaction of having shrimp that I dipped out of the water myself is also nice.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Is there supposed to be that much oil on top? My system wouldn't digest that and leave me in any state of happiness. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

It leads to what has become known as "The 20 minute rule".   It can be delicious, but 20 minutes later, it's on the express exit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Phatch I agree the amount was a bit excessive but the image makes it look like more than it was. The other thing is that there was a decent amount of grits to mix that into and I wanted to have some of the flavor of the butter and seasoning as almost a sauce.

6. bishop

bishop

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I add a bit more spice/heat with some kind of fresh peppers or cayenne. Believe me though, I would have emptied that bowl quick.