Howdy from Houston

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by cengleman, Jun 1, 2010.

1. cengleman

cengleman

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello there,

Well at 32 I had been thinking it was time to find a new career as the airlines are just getting less and less customer service oriented. Well, on Friday I received my very first pink slip, so I think that may be the kick in the butt to do it.

I have looked into the culinary world before, but right before I pulled the trigger I was promoted and moved.....again.

I have began to look for entry level positions in restaurants here in the Houston area but with the holiday I have not gotten very far. I have also started looking into the two culinary schools here in Houston, the AI of Houston and the Culinary Institute of Alain and Marie LeNotre.

So I hope to meet new people on here and I am sure I will be back with questions within the next few weeks.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Chris, and welcome to Chef Talk. This is an excellent place to learn, to meet people who've gone through the change you're making, and get a feeling for the field of culinary professions. I'm certain we have some CT members in Houston as well. Be sure to check out our Culinary Students/Schools forum, as many of your questions may have been addressed by others. I don't think you can post in the Professional forums yet, but you can read there and post in any of the general forums.

I'm sorry to hear about your pink slip, but I you seem to be looking at it as a catalyst rather than an affront. Good for you! Resilience is a very valuable commodity. Are you interested in the savory side or the pastry side of the kitchen...  or in both? You'll see some amazing photos of people's work here (both home cooks and pros), so don't miss the photo gallery. For that matter, don't miss the wikis, articles or anything else here!

We hope that being part of this community is helpful and enriching for you.

Welcome!

Mezzaluna

3. cengleman

cengleman

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have came across a few postings from people here in Houston, so I am sure there are a few on here.

I am mainly interested in the cuisine side, but would also care to learn the pastry side as well, at least the basics.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. madcowcutlery

madcowcutlery

Exp:
    Other
    Welcome to ChefTalk.  It is great to see a fellow Texan join.  

D. Clay