How to??

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefland76, Feb 4, 2012.

1. chefland76

chefland76

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    I Just finished culinary school but i have been cooking since I was 10 but what i need help with is i need some ideas on how to get people to taste my food I was thinking a tasting party Please help!!

2. james brown

james brown

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Who exactly do you want to taste your food and for what reason? are you looking for a job?

A tasting party would certainly be one way of getting a lot of people to taste your food, but in all likelihood who would attend? almost certainly not potential employers of any credibility, and much more likely a few people after a free feed...

3. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Make lunch or dinner for a Fire Department shift. 

michaelga likes this.
  4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not sure what you're trying to accomplish... ie. what is your goal?

Are you looking for work but have no experience?  Then start out with a 'temp' agency or by asking to do some stagiaire stints at the places you want to work at.   

Are you trying to find backers so you can open your own place?  

Are you looking for an ego stroke?  Family parties are great for this! :)

Are you looking to do some good in the world, improve someones food experiences?    Sign up / volunteer at a local shelter or soup kitchen and don't be shy about letting them know you can actually cook. 

If you're already rich and don't need a job then just start throwing the greatest block parties for all your neighbors or if you like low-key just invite a few of them over for dinner parties.

Anyway, please let us know what you're trying to do as there are many more ways that people can help.  (every ones experience is different)

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why? Not being factious, but wanting to know your motivation and purpose.

Recognizing that you are an experienced cook and chef that, from your postings, already does a lot for the community, what is your goal?
    • Improve fire department nutrition?
    • Give the firemen a break from cooking?
    • Demonstrate your skills?
    • Just have fun and contribute?
    • ????
    Most fire departments have a kitchen, so that's probably not in the mix, correct?

6. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete ... the original question was "... i need some ideas on how to get people to taste my food ...".  In my experience, a good group of honest critics are Firemen. They'll either ask you back to cook again (on their dime), tell you that it was good but they could make it better (acceptable), or tell you that you need more practice (suckamundo). If the OP wants someone to taste his food I think the FD is a good place. Police Officers aren't the same general "eat anything on a plate" crowd, which is good, but they don't usually have a nice kitchen like FDs do. I hope, LOL, that my explanation shows my "motivation and purpose"

7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oops. my bad, violated my own rule, RTFP! (Read The Full Post)!

8. chefland76

chefland76

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    Yes i have someone that will put up the money to open up a small place also while i was in school I work as a line cook so I do have some exp.

9. dardeau

dardeau

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Dinner parties are fun. They make you remember why you did all thiis in the first place.

10. apfahl

apfahl

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Step 1: Learn punctuation.

11. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Really, dude, just go find a restaurant job somewhere-anywhere.

Your undernourished set of communication skills will get a needed boost.

Don't waste the money and good will of your backer by opening a business of any sort until you attain all the other necessary skills needed to manage one.

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

Oh, "F" means full?  I thought it meant.. nevermind.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

13. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I thought about Fricking as well as some alternatives.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A tasting perrty for who?  I do tastings for already booked parties before they choose final menues. This is included in my price. But I alrady have the customer, you do not.  Work for a place  and build up a reputation and following while there.