How to Store Chicken Pot Pie, Unbaked?

Joined Feb 12, 2010
Hello from England! I have a little predicament...I'm cooking chicken pot pie for a family whose son just had surgery. He was expected home today but has to stay in the hospital until tomorrow now. I'll be leaving town tomorrow, so I have to deliver tonight. I want it to be as fresh as possible...what should I do? I'm using ready-made frozen pie crusts and the chicken/veg filling is already prepared. Should I bring the filling and the crusts over and let her assemble or can I put it together and store in the fridge with uncooked crust? Should I partially bake it, then store in fridge, and let her finish the baking when ready to serve? Any help would be much appreciated!

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hello Mrs. G. and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm going to move your question to a different forum, but first I thought I'd reply since I've made many dozen chicken pot pies and frozen them successfully.

My father-in-law was very ill and it seemed that chicken pot pies were compatable with his appetite. Here's what I did:

I made a recipe of simple pie crust in the food processor, enough for two 9" pies. I cut the disk of dough into six portions and covered five 5" casserole dishes into which I put the cooked pie filling. The filling was made from three boneless, skinless chicken breasts which I poached first. I sauteed some chopped leek, carrot, celery and parsley in butter, then added some flour and let it cook a couple of minutes. Then I added chicken broth, white wine and a touch of sherry. When that thickened, I added the cubed chicken breast and dished the filling into the little casseroles. When the filling was cold (I put them in the fridge for 30 minutes), I brushed the top rim of the casseroles with a little egg wash, then sealed the top with a crust. I brushed the crust with egg wash and cut a couple of slits for vents. Then I wrapped each one tightly and put them in the freezer. My mother-in-law defrosted the pie in her fridge before baking for 35 minutes or so.

The trick was, there was no lower crust- only a top one. When I had time, I decorated the crusts with little dough leaves, vines, etc.

Does that answer your query? :) You're a good-hearted person to do the cooking for that family.
Best wishes,
Mezzaluna

Latest posts

Top Bottom