How to sharpen a benriner mandoline blade

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by bompetisco, Apr 19, 2016.

1. bompetisco

bompetisco

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi there folks after 5 years owing a benriner mandoline i now decided is time to sharpen it. I have a couple of japonesedamascus knives and i have already learned some knowledge on sharpening this knives, i even have a rail for the 15 degree angle. The mandoline blade doesnt look like the knifes one seens it has a angle on one side and kind of flat on the other.Basicaly any link to a video or so? All advices are very welcome. Cheers in advance

2. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    It's probably cheaper to buy a whole new mandolin than the replacement blades, btw. My coarse blades are all but shot. Can't sharpen those. Flat blades go for around $10 -15.

There are a lot of very smart bladeheads here. Have some patience; someone will chime in. My humble advice : 

I let the blade angle guide me and do it by hand on water stones. I have a jewel magnifier, and inspect the blades insuring a flat even surface. 

Don't forget about removing burr on the opposite side. 

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wow yours lasted 5 years? I found it pretty dull out of the box and sharpened mine immediately. 1000, 2000 grit stones is as far as I went

4. bompetisco

bompetisco

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Cheers for the advise. Liked the ideia of the magnifieng jewel glasses maybe something worth considering on investing any links on those could you sent me?

5. bompetisco

bompetisco

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ehehe with the knowledge i have now i must agree with you, but some years ago i fond that very sharp... Also some of the worts cuts i got in my life were thanx to this piece. Thats why i invested on a kevlar food glove.

6. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
  7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sure everyone uses magnifiers of some kind, and mostly cheap ones too.  And nowadays I think just $40 buys you a decent magnifier you can plug into your computer.