how to seal 3 inch pies for freezing

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by mayonaisemim, Feb 13, 2011.

1. mayonaisemim

mayonaisemim

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I produce 144 pies (3in) twice a day.  I fill and freeze them.  What is a good way to seal them for freezing indiviually that is efficient and timely and protects the  crust? They are in an aluminum shell.  I suspect there is a machine that I could pass the container over, once they are indiviually wrapped in saran.  Vacumn wrapping is not possible.  I would like to be able to furnish the outlets I have with quantities of small pies.  Your suggestions would help.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. nosmasta

nosmasta

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If your crust is of decent thickness I would think they would be relatively stable after freezing. Perhaps you could place each crust in a plastic sleeve and then stack them one inside the other to freeze in columns. If you have the freezer space however, I would suggest freezing them separately and stacking once frozen in order to prevent damage. You could then place stacks of crusts in boxes or crates for easy transport. I can't quite think of something that really protects the crust on frozen pies that is economical. Therefore I think you are just going to have to rely on the thickness of the pies edge for your application.

3. mayonaisemim

mayonaisemim

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    thank you.  We freeze them in cases of 36 each, indiviually wrapped in saran.  Perhaps using a hot pad like they do in the butcher dept would help us seal them faster.