How to score

Joined Jun 9, 2001
I made bread this morning and it looked great. i scored them and put them in the oven. when they came out, i felt like i didnt score it deep enough becasue when the oven spring set in, it just kinda filled out the score. i am not sure if this makes since. i will try to post a picture up soon of the bread.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
They look plenty slashed to me! What's it like to have all that space to work in? :)

I read in LaBrea that the angle of the slash controls the drama. A slash made perfectly perpendicular to the work surface will be less dramatic than one at a 45 degree angle.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Joined Jan 15, 2001
Isaac, cute website. It's nice to place a face to the name. Yeah, it does **** not having a kitchen! Bread looks great. :)

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Speaking of scoring, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. For me, the trick is keeping the "skin" from forming while things are retarding. A little spritz of water a minute before I wield the blade seems to help as well. Frank & Ernest have gone back to work :)

Joined Jun 9, 2001
kyle, i am jelouis and impressed

i would give anything for a little kitchen... you give me your kitchen... i will give you one of the cia's kitchens. he he he

how is the book?

i just love the bread that is on the cover of crust and crumb.... i actually like the socring job of it.

i will have to try to spray bottle trick. just spray a little water on the bread after it has proofed and then score it?

Joined Jun 9, 2001
kyle:

u feed your starters everyday? or do u feed them and put them back in the refer and then feed them prior to baking and leave them out?

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I keep them in the fridge until a day or two before I want to use them. If they have been fed in the las 5 days or so I take them out the day before and feed them. If it's been longer, I take them out 2 days ahead and feed them both days.

I find a little spritz on proofed loaves helps soften any "skin" that may have developed. It keeps me from tearing and snagging when I score.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Wow, I totally enjoyed looking at both Isaacs' and Kyles' websites....it's really great to see how much you two enjoy this field. I can tell you'll both be very successful given the amount of effort and enthusism you show here and at your own websites.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Congrats again to both KyleW and Isaac. I too enjoyed your websites...totally!

Kyle: It's going so fast, I really can see wonderful improvement in your loaves; and about the durum semolina, you would have known otherwise if you had ever made fresh pasta! Hee-hee, the tricks of the trade coming through.

Your sourdough mission was a great motivator for me and I have been a little more "daring" with my loaves. Thanks for all that motivation and inspiration.

And Isaac: It's amazing to see what can come out of a simple bag of flour, isn't it!

:rolleyes:
spiny.gif

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Thanks Wendy!

Kimmie -
I knew better but A: Had the semolina & B: Couldn't find the durham. :) In the bread class at Peter Kump's we used both kinds of semolina and there was no comparison. I have durham semolina on the way from King Arthur's!

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Top Bottom