How to preserve fresh oregano

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I have a big beautiful pot chock full of Greek oregano. I prefer Oregano fresh as opposed to dried.
Past attempts to preserve the freshness have included leaving the pot outside to overwinter. Only smaller pots can come inside. Still, neither method is great, but both are better than dried. Most preparations seem to rely on drying the herb.

I'm thinking of freezing some oregano this year. Possibly, freezing after having all the air sucked out with the contraption that sucks the air out dishes for sous vide.

Do any of you talented Chefs and Home Cooks have any ideas? My Big, Beautiful, lovingly cared for bunch of amazing, virgin, organic, Fresh Greek Oregano needs your help. Or maybe its me who needs the help. o_O

IMG_0067.JPG

Joined May 5, 2010
Vacuum pack the leaves and freeze. Or....chop the oregano medium fine and place small amounts into muffin tins. (Mini muffin tins are perfect portion) Fill each with stock or water, then freeze. When solid, pop out the frozen portion from the tin and place in Ziplock bags

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Ouuuu! I like that first option. Glad to know a pro thinks it can work! Thanks Chef.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I use chefross chefross 2nd method for cilantro and it works well. So it should work fine wth oregano as well.
I use ice cube trays instead of muffin tins.

Vacuum pack and freeze should work as well. Just freezing should also work.

I would also hang some bunches to dry, as I think oregano can handle drying better than most herbs

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I prefer Method #1 since I like to chop and sprinkle those fuzzy little leafs on food or add it to salad dressing / marinade. Cilantro, on the other hand... I will try that.
I have lots of dried oregano in the freezer, including this incredible aromatic stuff from Greece. It's amazing how well dried oregano stores in the freezer. Duh...don't know why freezing didn't occur to me for the fresh oregano. ALL my spices live in the freezer.
Thanks butzy!

Joined Sep 5, 2018
If you can get your hands on liquid nitrogen you can flash freeze them then dump them in a freezer bag. They will breakdown so they will only be good for cooking but the flavor and color will be preserved.

I know you dont like dried but I dry mine stalk and all whole. Then store in a ziploc and when crushed the flavor is intense.

I have a big beautiful pot chock full of Greek oregano. I prefer Oregano fresh as opposed to dried.
Past attempts to preserve the freshness have included leaving the pot outside to overwinter. Only smaller pots can come inside. Still, neither method is great, but both are better than dried. Most preparations seem to rely on drying the herb.

I'm thinking of freezing some oregano this year. Possibly, freezing after having all the air sucked out with the contraption that sucks the air out dishes for sous vide.

Do any of you talented Chefs and Home Cooks have any ideas? My Big, Beautiful, lovingly cared for bunch of amazing, virgin, organic, Fresh Greek Oregano needs your help. Or maybe its me who needs the help. o_O

View attachment 65543

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I collect lots of oregano when I go to Greece every summer and dry it to bring back to US with me. I prefer it actually, and I've never lots flavor. Maybe I'm just used to it but dried oregano is what most Greeks use.

Have you tried making it into oregano oil? Just like making basil oil you put it in the food processor and add a little oil, free it into cubes or store it in the fridge.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Lots of good suggestions guys!

I remain content with method no. 1, the least processed method to preserve that cute, fuzzy little leaf.

Cowboy, if I had liquid nitrogen I'd save it. Never know when the A/C may blow.

Kouk, I grew up with the dried stuff from my grandmother's garden in Greece. Alas, the foodies got to me and I rebelled. :p

Latest posts

Top Bottom