How to make red velvet macarons

Joined Jan 29, 2016
I have made so many macarons and they never  look the same. I want to make special one for valentine's day.. any suggestions

thanks

Anne

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Not exactly sure what your question is.......do you want to know how to make a red velvet macaron, or are you looking for advice on how to make a more consistent looking red velvet macaron, or are you looking for suggestions of other flavors of macarons?

Joined Feb 18, 2007
I think since "red velvet" is a style of cake and not technically a standalone flavor (the way that vanilla is a flavor, or that key lime is a flavor) you might just do a red macaron shell and perhaps use a tangy filling (because red velvet, aside from the huge quantity of food color used, started off as a buttermilk cake with a little cocoa that was supposed to give off a slight reddish color when baked.  IMHO it's morphed into a red cake with cream cheese frosting and sometimes toasted pecans added to the filling. It's taken on a life of its own really.) So perhaps go with a cream cheese filling (like you would use on carrot cake) or maybe a creme fraiche or sour cream ganache filling.

Or make heart shaped shells.

Joined Jan 29, 2016
my question was does any on know how to make red velvet  macarons?? and if so how thanks

Joined Oct 28, 2005
I use mascarpone in my red velvet cake instead of cream cheese. I attempted a "red velvet" macaron last Valentine's Day. Meh, you can't really get that flavor in there. I added cocoa and red color, piped them in hearts and filled with cream cheese/mascarpone filling. Basically just red macarons.
There is a red velvet cake flavoring I've seen around. Have no idea what it tastes like, but it might work for the filling?

Last edited:
Joined Mar 4, 2015
I worked for a bakery that used Apple cider vinegar as part of the red velvet cake recipe, with cocoa powder and red powdered color that we would dissolve in a bit of hot water. 

I dumbly tried a bit of vinegar,  a splash really, with red velvet macrons, with horrible results.

I'll try and track down some of this red velvet 'flavoring' and give a report. I imagine is is similar to something like vanilla extract. Alcohol, and a flavor.

I have had the idea, but not the time to try and make some sort of simple syrup that can mimic a tangy vinegar flavor, but won't destroy the batter, 

Joined Feb 16, 2016
I used to use LorAnn 'Red Velvet' bakery emulsion in my macaron filling.

I don't like red velvet (I think it tastes like red food colouring) nor macarons, so I personally was not a fan. They did sell well though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom