how to make falafel

Joined Jun 25, 2001
i had falafel in a lebanese restaurant during my visit to the middle east. recently i saw in a middle eastern store a packet named falafel, i justwanted to know how to make it and assemble the whole thing in a pita bread, i think they had put some salad , hummus and tahini (just guessing!) in it too, has anyone had a falafel like that?...........does anyone know how to make like that?please do let me know

Joined Mar 13, 2001
This one was posted last week in the NY Times.

Falafel
Adapted from "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook" by Tess Mallos (Charles E. Tuttle Company, 1996)

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus 24 hours for refrigerating chickpeas

1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) dried chickpeas
1/2 cup (3 ounces) bulgur wheat
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
4 scallions, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for deep frying.

1. Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

2. Rinse bulgur in a fine-meshed sieve, and transfer to a bowl. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

3. Drain chickpeas. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, bulgur, garlic, scallions and parsley. Add coriander, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice, salt and baking soda. Season with black pepper to taste. Process until ground to a coarse paste-like consistency. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.

4. With moistened hands, shape rounded tablespoons of the mixture into meatball-size balls. Heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 1 minute. Deep-fry 6 or 7 falafel at a time, turning to brown evenly, about 5 minutes. (To check if falafel is cooked, cut one in half. The color should be even through to the middle. If not even, increase cooking time by 1 minute.) Drain on paper towels. Serve warm, rolled in pitta bread, with added salad and Tarator or Lebanese garlic sauce.

Yield: About 30 fritters.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Serve warm, rolled in pita bread, with added salad and Tarator or Lebanese garlic sauce. You could add sliced tomatoes and onions if you so desire.

Tarator
Serves 3 - 4
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 - 3 tbs. lemon juice
2 - 3 tbs. water
Chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
1 clove crushed garlic (optional)

** Important **
When using fresh vegetables and herbs, make sure they are washed thoroughly and drained.

Mix all the above ingredients together, keep stirring till you get a nice smooth sauce, add the chopped parsley and serve.

Toum
(Lebanese garlic sauce)
Makes 1 Jar
1 garlic bulb - crushed
1/2 - 2/3 cup of vegetable oil - (not olive oil)
3 tbs mayonaise
a squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & pepper

Place garlic in bowl. Add salt and lemon. Add a little oil at a time to the garlic and mix with spoon until the oil stops being absorbed. Keep adding the oil until it runs out. Now add the mayonaise and mix. If too mayonaisey - add more oil and mix. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Once complete, put in jar and refrigerate.

Joined Mar 12, 2001
My absolute favourite things to serve with felafel in pita are tabbouleh and turnip pickles. Both very traditional, you probably had them when you were in the middle east.
PM me if you would like recipes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom