How to make Bohemian cabage?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by w.debord, Apr 18, 2002.

1. w.debord

w.debord

I'd like to reproduce a side dish we enjoy from a local Bohemian restaurant. They just call it cabage, with-out any further description.

It reminds me of german potato salad with the slight sweet taste contrasted with vinagar. I'm sure it's very much along those lines but it doesn't contain bacon...which is how I would start my dressing with the fat when making german p. salad.

I'm also not familar with how you cook and hold cabage. The only way I've ever prepared cabage was with corned beef and I just dropped it in the pot from the beef so it boiled. Someone on the nutrition thread mentioned you can microwave cabage to cook it.

I'd appreciate any help in learning how to prepare this item. TIA!

2. isa

isa

Was it red or green cabbage?

3. slavegirl

slavegirl

I'm sure this isn't it, but it IS a fantastic red cabbage side dish. It comes from a German restaurant called Suppenkuche in San Francisco, this is their recipe from the website. It is also sweet and vinegary, maybe the ingredients can help you recreate what you are making by experimentation? It's also just a GREAT cabbage recipe. I'm planning on springing it on my family gathering of Thanksgiving next year, since it has a little cranberry in it.

Marinated Red Cabbage from Suppenkuche
    (serves six)

2 heads red cabbage, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 clove
    1 bay leaf
    salt & pepper
    1/4 cup Cranberry Sauce
    2 onions, thinly sliced

Place cabbage and all ingredients, EXCEPT cranberry sauce and onions in
    a container, mix well, the taste should be sweet and tart. Cover
    tightly and marinate overnight.

Sauté onions until lightly caramelized, add red cabbage and cranberry
    sauce and cook for approximately 1 hour over medium heat, stirring
    occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom. The cabbage
    should be cooked will but still have a slight crunch. Adjust seasoning
    if necessary.

So good. Oh. Oh.

SG

4. w.debord

w.debord

They use green cabbage. It's served warm and it's in smallish pieces and it's juice, like it was coarsly chopped then stewed all day. It's milder with the vinagar and sugar then I'd make for a german potato salad dressing.

That does sound like a fun fall recipe Slavegirl, I'll have to print it to remember.