How To Make Black Garlic in a professional kitchen

Joined Apr 19, 2015
Hey all, so I recently acquired an abundance of garlic from our company garden and I want to make enough black garlic to sustain a menu item for the rest of the summer/early fall.
I’ve never done this before, just read enough to get the general idea.
Has anyone ever done this in a work setting and not just at home for fun? If so could I pick anyone’s brain on how to do this realistically in a professional kitchen? Thanks!

Joined Apr 15, 2019
Depending on your local health department, I think this may or may not require special certification and tedious record-keeping. I know, here in NYS, low-temp processing and open ferments are (pretty much) prohibitively complicated processes.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Get a cheap rice cooker, put a wad of paper towels on the bottom, add garlic, walk away for 2-3 weeks.

CAVEAT: The health inspectors in my area hate this and will make you destroy it immediately if they see it. D.a.m.h.i.k.t.....

Joined Apr 19, 2015
Depending on your local health department, I think this may or may not require special certification and tedious record-keeping. I know, here in NYS, low-temp processing and open ferments are (pretty much) prohibitively complicated processes.
I didn’t even think about the health department i’ll have to look into that thanks!

Joined Apr 19, 2015
Get a cheap rice cooker, put a wad of paper towels on the bottom, add garlic, walk away for 2-3 weeks.

CAVEAT: The health inspectors in my area hate this and will make you destroy it immediately if they see it. D.a.m.h.i.k.t.....
I’ll give it a shot thanks!

Top Bottom