Featured How to keep polenta (cornmeal) creamy once it's cold?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by brulo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So, I'm trying to come out with some kind of classic italian polenta dish but I want to serve it cold (more like room temp) as a starter, with a light raw tomato and basil sauce and burrata on top.

This is, the polenta tends to get super hard once it cools down...

Is there any technique I might be missing to keep it light and creamy? Like some kind of puree...

I was thinking on adding more liquid a couple minutes before serving, but maybe that would dilute flavors...

Just for reference, this is polenta :)

Thanks!

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Just load it up with liquid. Like a lot of liquid; twice the normal amount almost. It will still set in the fridge but it will be loose enough that you can stir it cold. Don't change your mind and heat it up though, for it will be soup.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's not possible. The cornstarch gelatinizes. It's better to just do it on the fly per serving. Either that or do grits.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Let it set up. Then cut into slices and grill, serve with a flavorful tomato sauce. I prefer it this way over creamy.

drirene likes this.
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree with phatch. This method will ensure the best possible outcome with no complaints. Extra points if you can get some grill marks on it.

6. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks all!

I think I'll finally experiment a little with grilling, the contrast of a warm polenta patty and cold sauce and cheese could work.

I'm thinking of just brown them directly on iron.

Thanks again!

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yes, brown directly. It is so good.

brulo likes this.
  8. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Deep-fried is even better. Crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. Just dust the pieces with flour before frying. It was our number one best seller at a restaurant.

azenjoys and drirene like this.
  9. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That sounds awesome too! I'm not really used to deep fry so I could give it a try

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with everyone here. Due to it's nature and high starch content you are just not going to get a good product trying to serve cold (or room temp) creamy polenta. I have used all the techniques that everyone has mentioned with great success, but, by far, my favorite way to use cooled polenta is to deep fry it-nice crispy exterior and soft, creamy interior. Depending on how you cut it, before frying, it has a ton of uses- from croutons, for a salad, in place of toasted bread in croustades, or as a side dish to many different entrees.

azenjoys and drirene like this.
  11. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'll definitely try the deep frying!

I found this cool article on the subject. I'll try what says there, making it with just water to avoid it getting too heavy when combined with burrata.

12. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I hated polenta for the longest time until I discovered that the thing can taste good if you make it with milk and cream. I find polenta made with just water/stock disgusting. LOL.

13. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make it for my dad as a hot cereal. Make with milk and raisins, nuke for five minutes, let hydrate, thin out, nuke again for two minutes, sweeten with brown sugar. Good stuff.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I’ll try that. I sort of hate polenta. I make it with water, butter and cheese. Better with milk?

15. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to hate polenta also, but now I've come to love it, but of course, what makes me love it, also makes it-not so healthy; milk (or better yet cream), lots of butter and lots of cheese-what type depends on what I'm doing. One of my favorite, winter dishes (oh, a good entry for this month's challenge if I get time) is creamy sage polenta topped with a ragu of sausage and mushrooms. Making myself hungry just thinking about it.

Pat Pat likes this.