How to get the roast chicken spiced?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sirlene, Oct 8, 2012.

1. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi,

I hope you can help me with one frustrating cooking attempt of mine - get the roast chicken with the flavor, spices and salt I have rubbed it. I never get the chicken meat so good as the preparation I have done with the spices and even marinate. Last time I had the salt crushed with rosemary, thyme and chilli. I used that to season the butter and then rubbed that in the whole chicken. But, in despite of that effort, the skin was good but "inside" the spices didn´t achieve. The chicken is always well roasted and cooked but never tasty enough.

How do you do??

Thanks!!

Sirlene

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The skin is not particularly permeable to flavor. Rub the spices under the skin and inside the cavity works better.

3. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ^^What phatch said^^  I like to rub a mixture of garlic, cayenne, thyme and butter under the skin. Be gentle when separating the membrane from the flesh :)

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    also stuff but not overstuff the cavity with orange and onion wedges, whole garlic cloves and dry vermouth. a sprig of fresh herb is nice if you have it..... i like rosemary or thyme.  when you rub the spices/garlic/butter etc. under the skin, rub it under ALL the skin...breast, thighs and legs.

joey

5. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If you REALLY want to get flavor into your roast chickens you are going to have to brine them in my humble opinion.

indygal likes this.
  6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Would you mind sharing the recipe for "my humble opinion"? I have never tried that brine! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree, rub the spices under the skin.  Me I don't mind if the skin is super tasty and the meat is kind of bland.  I make up for it with a nice jus.

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I vote for brining as well.  You can spice your brine up to your liking and the flavor will permeate your bird.  For crisp skin you must get the skin dry.  Brine over night, dry over day and it should be good to go.

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You can also inject part of the spiced (and filtered) brine into the chicken.

10. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    perhaps the chicken you are using itself is the problem. fresh? frozen? young? old? free range? kosher? organic? 

fresh, young and free range is best...well, kosher is if you can get it. i would buy the best chicken you can afford. the better the bird was raised and fed, the better the taste.... in this case size does matter...a smaller chicken is better. use a roaster for roasting...not a fryer or a stew hen...lastly, a simplier alternative to brining is to just sprinkle kosher salt all over the chicken and refreigerate for a few hours or overnight. it almost does the same thing without all the muss......

joey

11. deepsouthnyc

deepsouthnyc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm a fan of salting 24 hours in advance. Don't add the salt to a spice mixture or butter. Apply the salt to the chicken in advance. Before you cook the bird, add your spiced butter underneath the skin of the bird, all around in a thin layer.

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Brine them in what?

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    salt water.....or rather salted water......not sea water! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

joey

14. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cavity was perfect filled with 1/4 lemon, fresh thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. No problem there.

Seasoned butter was also rubbed under the skin, but only above the breast.. I was afraid of damaging it a bit .. That I can improve!! Thanks!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

THANKS TO YOU ALL!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What is your brine recipe?? I have tried many even with "cachaça"! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

16. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You got me!! I did it only for the breast! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

17. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I must try that! Thanks!

18. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Free range, frozen. Interesting this alternative of sprinkling the salt in advance. Seems to be my next attempt! Thanks!!

19. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Another one who got me!!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I did a mess once using my brand new " german injection apparat" because I did not filtered my brine! But the result was better than without it, I agree.

Thanks!!

20. indigirl12

indigirl12

Exp:
    At home cook
    One thing I've done for years is to carefully seperate the skin from the flesh, then stuff butter under the skin and massage it around, to coat the flesh as evenly as possible.  Thick keeps the chicken moist during cooking.  You can add herbs and spices to the butter before applying, to get a flavoured end product.  However, the flavour is usually imparted if you stuff the cavity with a herb blend of stuffing.  The way I make it is bread soaked with water, chopped onion, a herb mix and any spices required.  I also add a bit of butter for moisture while cooking.  Mix it all together, squeeze to remove water, then stuff chicken.