How to get sauce to "stick to" chicken curries

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by briannyc, Sep 13, 2016.

1. briannyc

briannyc

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hey all, I've been trying to prepare a few different chicken curry dishes (vindaloo,rogan josh) using store bought simmer sauces. I know it's a shortcut but I don't really have the time to make the sauces from scratch. 

Each time I try this whether it's using chicken breast,or thighs I wind up getting chunks of chicken without much of the sauce "adhering" to it. I've tried marinating the chicken in whole yogurt, per the directions to see if that would help but it hasn't.

I've tried putting the raw chicken in with the sauce as well as cooking the chicken halfway and then adding the sauce. I'm going to try to coat the chicken with a thin layer of corn starch next time to see if that'll do the trick. Any suggestions here? Thank you! 

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Most of the texture of Indian curries comes from the cooking the onions and the starch that comes from the onions.  But I don't think all curries need to be clingy.  Maybe a dash of coconut cream might help but that would make it a different dish.

3. briannyc

briannyc

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the info and this could be why using store bought simmer sauces don't have the same "clingy" texture. Last night I used a thin layer of AP flour and cooked the chicken in a skillet for a minute on each side. Once done I folded in the sauce, kept it on a low burner and that seemed to do the trick. 

4. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I add a few diced potatoes to my curries. As the potatoes cook and fall apart it thickens the sauce and then clings to the chicken.