How to get rid of porridge taste in simple flatbread

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by leeput, Apr 24, 2011.

1. leeput

leeput

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi,

My attempt at baking rye flatbread resulted in "bread" that tastes very much like porridge. I made the dough from just rye flour and water: 1 part water to 3 parts flour. I didn't quite expect to get such a familiar porridge taste.

Is there a simple way to get this recipe to taste more like bread and less like porridge without adding other ingredients? Would it help if I baked it longer? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi leeput,

Welcome to ChefTalk! Hope you enjoy yourself here.

I am curious to know if you used straight Rye flour? This will give you the taste I think you

are describing. Normally the Rye is cut or blended with another flour for bread. Sometimes all-purpose.

My favorite cut is Clear flour. I don't know if this is readily available to you, but you might look

where you got your rye. Can't remember percentage right off, but I'm think 35-40% clear.

HTH's

panini

3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Interesting.

I'm Scots - I make porridge daily for about 8 months of the year.  I have never thought that anything made with rye tastes anything like anything made with oats.

4. leeput

leeput

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi panini and Ishbel!

Thanks for your replies. I used only straight rye flour. Blending with other flours makes sense, so I'll try that next!

Ishbel: I didn't know porridge was so popular in Scotland. I'm a Finn myself. Maybe rye-based porridge is more common around here, so the taste of my "bread" reminded me of porridge /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    P:eek:rridge IS Scots!  It's always made with oats and we have exported it to all corners of the globe, including the USA where they invented 'rolled' oats (which, personally, I dislike!)