how to get meringue-like glaze on ladyfingers

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by palazziotta, May 13, 2005.

1. palazziotta

palazziotta

I've made a couple of ladyfinger recipes and although they were tasty, I could not achieve the brittle sugary coating those from the Italian bakery have. I called a really good bakery in Astoria, Queens and the baker said the topping is a "secret." I have tried sprinkling powdered sugar and letting the unbaked ladyfingers sit for about 15 minutes before baking but it didn't work. Does anyone have any thoughts/hints/info on how to get that delicious, meringue-y coating? Thanks for your help.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Perhaps a Swiss meringue will work.

3. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Try glazing the fingers with a simple syrup and rebake.

4. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    royal icing, thinned down and brushed on half way thru baking. for match sticks made with puff pastry this is the method.
    best!

5. palazziotta

palazziotta

Thanks for the quick responses. They were all very creative and unexpected approaches to the sugary glaze meringue coating mystery. Applying royal icing and sugar syrup before cookies are done are novel solutions. Swiss meringue looks do-able.

M. Brown, it seems you use thinned royal icing for puff pastry match sticks. Does it produce flaky sugar/meringue coating?

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

6. risque cakes

risque cakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    swiss meringue icing will never get hard,and actually will melt on a hot cookie

7. breadmeister2

breadmeister2

I dust mine twice with powdered sugar (typically the first application dissolves) and bake in a convection oven. They tend to finish with a crisp topping. I'm trying to figure out the 'meringue' finish you describe. Maybe it's an equipment difference.