How to Get a Pastry Cook Job with Limited Experience?

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by missmeganmouse, Feb 16, 2011.

Should I wait or just go for it?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2011.
  1. Your still a guppy don't try to swim with sharks yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Go for it girl!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. missmeganmouse

missmeganmouse

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ive just completed a professional Culinary program in Vancouver BC. Ive known since high school that all I want to do when I grow up is make Delicious deserts however I went to culinary school any way because I felt like cooking offers more career opportunities in my particular area. I'm hopefully going to be enrolled in a Pastry Program this summer, however I cant help but wonder if I'm qualified to at least have a menial job in a bakery. 

So my question is should I just wait till after school or is working in a professional bakery way too much for a lowly culinary grad?

2. abhijit10

abhijit10

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi, I've just enrolled for Baking & Pastry Arts Mgmt Program at George Brown College for sept 2011. I've lil bit experience in this field.Which program you will be going to be enrolled?

3. dominique

dominique

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You don't need a lot of experience to have a menial job in a bakery.. some of my best employees had no experience. This meant I didn't have to break their bad habits to get them to do things the way I wanted them done. Mostly a willingness to learn, and an acceptance that not everything is going to be done the way you were taught in school is what will help you. Good luck!