How To Fix A Stew - Added To Much Spice

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by grotug, Dec 10, 2015.

1. grotug

grotug

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I put too much spice in my stew and am trying to cool it down. I added a little sugar and vinegar as I read online that together they help. My question is if yogurt will conflict with the vinegar in a negative way? I'd like to add some yogurt.

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grotug, unless you have full fat yogurt there is a good possibility that the yogurt will break (separate) unless you are very careful.  You could also try adding a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch to the yogurt before adding.  Personally, what I would do is serve it as is, and offer yogurt or sour cream on the side so that everyone can adjust to their own level.

nicko likes this.
  4. grotug

grotug

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks! It turned out okay. Full fat yogurt at the end or sour cream made it quite delectable.

5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    A dollop of fresh yogurt on beef stew creates a tiny bit of heaven in a bowl.

First had this combo as a late nite snack at the home of my mentor.

Since he was Persian I always took this to mean this garnish is middle eastern in origin.

But what would I know..... just an inexperienced unsophisticated girl from small town Texas lol.

mimi

6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just recently I ordered Vindaloo that was a little warm, the Maitre D' noticed my mild reaction as it hit me at the finish and brought over a dish of yogurt dip they use especially for the occasion.  Cooled things right down.

Rick