How to evaluate a potential employer

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by brian1brian, Apr 16, 2019.

1. brian1brian

brian1brian

Exp:
    25 years
    There’s so much information available for restaurants and GMs, to help them choose the right employee.

I’m in a nice situation, I’m basically interviewing a restaurant to see if I want the executive chef position.

I’ve learned the hard way that unspoken or miscommunicated expectations lead to disaster on both ends.

So I’m just hoping to tap some wisdom of experience here... what are the key questions to ask a potential employer? What would be warning signs and/or deal-breakers?

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What is the managerial hierarchy in a flow chart?
    How would you describe your managerial style?
    What is the number one priority for the business that needs to be addressed?
    What is the budget and the actuals?
    How would the employees describe your managerial style?
    What do you like about your job?
    What would you change?
    Are you open to constructive suggestions and/or criticism?
    What is the best way to approach you with constructive suggestions and/or criticism?
    How many hours a week are you here?
    What do you like to do when you are not here?
    How did you get into the business?
    Why do you stay in the business?
    Why should I choose to work here?

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Bravo that you have the correct attitude.
    So many job seekers take a job that isn't right for them simply because they failed to look at the job from your perspective.
    I agree with the above list and may I offer a bit of advice as well.
    46 years in this industry has taught me that you can tell a lot more about a place by observation.
    Actions always speak louder than words.
    All I have to do is watch staff interact and that tells me more than an interview with management ever could.
    Also, and this is really simple, observe the bathrooms, behind the line, ask to tour the kitchen with eyes open.
    Yes you can ask questions about policy and management style but, what you see with your own eyes may tell you a lot more.

Mischief likes this.
  4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well... the interview itself is pretty good. Salary dependent on food cost and labour cost? Mmmm... Oh, You can only use three suppliers? Thank you very much for your time.

But like chefross, I’m more of a hands on guy. I have no problems working a day in the kitchen as a “stage”, and I can see a lot of things: Good employees, bad employees, areas that will save yourbutt, areas that are potential problems, and also equipment that needs to be replaced or repaired.

Then it’s time to negotiate! They want a certain food cost by a certain date? Negotiate. Negotiate your choice of suppliers, your choice of staff, and definitely negotiate an equipment budget. The most important thing to remember about negotiating is once you’ve accepted the job, you have no—I mean”0”—negotiating power.

There is no perfect work place, no perfect owners/hierarchy.

jcakes likes this.
  5. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'd add one more question: How long did the previous exec hold the position and why did they leave?

linecookliz, Iceman and Mischief like this.