How to cut up a tomato

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by inabox, Feb 17, 2017.

1. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So this is my weekly skills video (posted on Thursday)

I hope everyone that watches this video enjoys it.

Please comment below if there is anything you'd like to share.

I'm always looking for feedback so please let me know what you think.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am really trying to help and am being picky but not in a snarky way I hope.  Back to ServSafe.  The coffee cups on your prep table, are they going to a table?  What was in that dirty skillet on the stove top?  All my classes started with a section on food safety. When I have done demonstrations and classes I try to follow that practice.  If I am being too picky let me know and I will stop my reply's.. 

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Most people at home don't have a knife that will slice through the skin of a tomato.  

4. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    no its all good. the coffee cups are used on the line for portioning. (I make most my sauces in batches 2 times per week. Some get reheated in a coffee cup in the nuke. ) the pan on the stove is acutely for my Vichy carrots. I caramelize a cup of sugar and add water to it at the start of dinner each night. My deep fryer has be converted to water. So I drop my blanched carports in the water for heat the the Vichy pan for flavour. But I can be more aware of my surrounding and try to remove this stuff from the shot. I do need comments like yours to make better videos.

5. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    why don't they? I wanted to start fixing my car myself I bought a socket set. Why do people neglect there kitchen equipment.

also on a side note lots of high end kitchen stuff is crap. I watch a good tool show on youtube where this guy takes stuff apart and show why witch tools are good or bad.

he took apart a 300 dollar kitchen aid hand mixer. (basicly 2 drills side by side) the kitchen aid was at least 10 years behind the tool world. 

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Most people have inadequate knives because they're not aware of what it will do for them to have better gear. Nor that sharpening doesn't have to be complex or expensive although it can be as well. And there are people who just don't cook beyond subsistence feeding of themselves. 

They never learned to chop vegetables, or disassemble a whole chicken. They muddle through and think that's just how it has to be. 

Clearly you're a tool geek so it matters to you. And you cook. 

flipflopgirl likes this.
  7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I don't mean to be contrarian or "stir" the proverbial soup, but how would one begin to verify an assertion like that? 

8. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Lol.  I"ll verify it anecdotally. After years of visiting the homes of family, friends and acquaintances, I can say that the vast majority don't' have sharp knives. I've convinced a few to buy better ones but not all by any means. That's not very scientific I know but when I'm expecting to find dull knives in a kitchen, I'm rarely disappointed. 

9. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    if your taking the time to watch a video on how to chop a tomato then you probably care about your food more then just muddling through it. Also this is the second video in my skills video linediting. In the first video we went over how to hone a knife.

10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I know a lot of people who watch food network daily and can't cook AT ALL

11. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I totally agree, and these are family and friends who like to cook. Thanksgiving day: "Would you carve the turkey for us?" Sure, if you give me something better than a dinner knife.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    most people on food network can't cook. PBS is where it's at for quality cooking.

13. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have to agree with this and add my evidence to the study.  Roughly 80-90% of the time, when I use someone's knives, they are dangerously dull.

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Anyway... knives and underwear are not something to share.  I bring a knife bag if I know I have to do work.

15. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator

scott livesey and flipflopgirl like this.
  16. inabox

inabox

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you know this gives me an idea for a video

17. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    most folks I know have dull knives.  If I am going to their house for a meal,  I usually bring my kit( a 'knife bag' is a little pretentious for an old sailor) a small tool box with 2 or 3 paring/utility knives, a chef's knife or veg cleaver, and 3 or 4 diamond stones (6"x2") in several grits.  I share my knives, sharpen their's, help cook and clean up.  I do watch how my knives are used, make sure the cutting boards are used, and clean/double dry the blades when done.  I will admit that doing this has resulted in a sale or two, especially when they know I will be back to touch up an edge.

all seriousness aside, if the need arose and mediums would fit, i'd lend scivvies.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    The futzing around with the tomatoes was a distraction as well as a waste of time.

Wouldn't hurt to place the camera on the business side of the action either.

Like @Jimyra  mentioned may sound picky but you asked for feedback.

mimi

Re good sharp knives and the availability of such in most of my relative's kitchens.

I have a sister in law who has a junk drawer full of "steak knives" both serrated and not.

No peeler either.

I made a pretty tasty dish of candied carrots .....pretty ugly after scraping but more than edible and not one bite left.

Family....love them all!

m.

19. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Most of my friends have dull, shit knives. If I know that I'm helping out with a meal I will bring the appropriate knives.

20. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ditto this. Your hand blocks the view. A staright on camera angle would probably be more informative.
    In my experience, most people's knives are beyond the point were honing would accomplish much.