how to cook vegetables early.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by crazybuoy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. crazybuoy

crazybuoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    using some baking soda in vegetables make them blackish. is there any other way to cook vegetables early?

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Do you mean quickly?

Don't use baking soda, it takes away nutritional value.  Stuff with hard stems, like broccoli, should be peeled, cut up lengthwise into segments that are not too thick.  Aim for the same thickness throughout. 

Cauliflower should be divided into flowerets, then you should take the thicker-stemmed ones and slit up the stem in a crosswise way, two slits vertically crossing each other, so the stem of these is no thicker than the stems of the smaller ones. 

Carrots can be peeled and either sliced or cut in sticks to boil. 

Put the vegetables in a large quantity of boiling water (like you would cook pasta) and if you run hot water over them just before putting in the water you won;t make the temperature go down.  check frequently so they don;t over cook. 

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Blanch in boiling salt water first , then ice shock. All vege'sl cut and trimmed to same size for even cooking. Cook 1 variety at a time. No soda as it kills vitamin c content. Drain well store in fridge. For cob corn and cauliflower  put a little milk in water.

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Ed,

Just curious as to the purpose of adding a little milk to the cob corn and cauli is, i.e. how does it improve the blanching?

TIA - DC

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was always taught that the milk tends to help keep the lighter color veges.their same color, only thing I can figure is that it would change the ph of water slightly.