Chef Forum banner

How to cook the following in pressure steamer?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  doraima3875 
#1 ·
I wanted to know how long (in minutes) cook the following in a pressure steamer? Or should I cook this over the stovetop instead?
What are your suggestions?
Black beans
Green split lentils
Red Lentils
Barilla Pasta especially bowties, penne or any type
Parpadelle
White or Cannellini Beans
Adzuki Beans

#2 ·
Sure, you can cook beans in a pressure cooker. But, the question is unless the beans are a part of a recipe, why would you want to? It will take about 10-15 minutes for the pressure cooker to reach adequate pressure and then another 15-25 minutes to cook the beans depending on the beans. So, in terms of overall time, you are not really gaining anything.

In any case, depending on the size of the bean, their moisture content....i.e. dried, pre-soaked or canned, and the volume of beans to be cooked, the cooking time can range anywhere from 15-25 minutes. Lentils would take less time - around 15 minutes or less once pressure has been achieved.

As for the farfalle (bowtie pasta) and pappardelle, if they are freshly made and not dried, do not use a pressure cooker. As you know, the cook time in boiling water is only a few minutes. If they are dried, cook time in boiling water is only about 10-12 minutes, perhaps less depending on heat source. So, using a pressure cooker to cook dried pasta could actually take longer once the time it takes to build pressure is factored in.

I hope this helps. :)

#6 ·
The good thing about cooking dry beans in a pressure cooker is that you can season well and get the flavor right into the beans, and you don't really need all that much water. If your range is strong, you can bring the pot to pressure in 10, then hold it there for 20-30 (depending on the beans and how you want them done), and they're ready to use when you need them.

This is convenient especially when making something like red beans and rice. You cook the sausage and veggies, get the spices in, add dry beans and water, and seal it up. The results are excellent and fairly quick.

If you're just looking for timing on plain dry beans, most regular beans take 20 minutes at pressure, black beans longer. Lentils and split peas cook better without pressure, as someone has said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.