How to cook Rice with Tea?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by osamaru, Sep 23, 2018.

1. osamaru

osamaru

Exp:
    Mad Scientist.
    I bought a bit bag of Jasmine Rice, mostly to use in Stir-Fry, since I heard it was a really good type of rice. <.< But I messed up, and got a 5 pound bag, not realizing How much that actually was. So i've been looking at things to use it for, and someone brought up a suggestion that Intrigued me.

Tea Rice.

At First that made me think " O__O Wut?". It seems like a strange idea; you don't normally associate one with the other. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Not only is Rice alot more "Neutral" than other starches like Oats or Potatoes (meaning you can be alot more creative with it), but Teas themselves come in a huge variety, making for limitless possibility.

So I wanted to ask if there is anyone that's played around with this before, and what kind of recommendations you can give. Specifically for Jasmine rice.

Right off the bat, I can think of some ideas; Cinimmon and Ginger tea with a little honey, Lemon and Green tea, a Hardy Black tea, Heck Jasmine tea for Jasmine rice (with maybe some Ginger).
    But I'm not to sure what is really suited for this kind of thing.

drirene likes this.
  2. osamaru

osamaru

Exp:
    Mad Scientist.
    Then there are more Savory options as well, though I'm not to sure how to go about those.

3. osamaru

osamaru

Exp:
    Mad Scientist.
    Also, I should say I'm not talking about something like Ochazuke or such, but rather using Tea to flavor the rice itself.

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Rooibus tea infused rice pudding is really really good. I don't think there are any hard or fast rules. A lot of rice is cooked using aromatic liquid (chicken stock, broth, dashi, citrus, etc) so tea would be no different. I've seen green tea infused rice used in Asian inspired dishes...forbidden rice cooked with tea, etc.

There probably isn't really a wrong answer, I would just experiment and see what happens. If it doesn't work out you've only lost a few minutes of your time.

drirene and osamaru like this.
  5. osamaru

osamaru

Exp:
    Mad Scientist.
    *nod nod* Got you! Thanks!
    I'll be sure to share my experience, hahahahha!