How to cook a large piece of ribeye in the best possible way

Joined Dec 9, 2017
I have a piece of top-notch quality ribeye, of approx. 1 1/2 pounds. What is the best way of cooking it?

I am tempted to do the "reverse-sear", as advocated by Kenji of Serious Eats.

However, I have a friend who is an extremely good chef, and she is quite opposed to roasting ribeye in the oven, as she thinks that the high fat content makes this cut much better when sliced into steaks and fried in a frying pan.

Are there any opinions here? Should I roast it whole, or should I cut it into steaks and just fry the steaks in a frying pan?

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Reverse sear would be a great way to cook that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with roasting ribeye in the oven...thats what a prime rib/standing rib roast is for crying out loud.

Make sure you season a day ahead of time with lots of salt and pepper!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Kenji Lopez-Alt is pretty reliable, and as several people have said, reverse searing is a pretty good way to cook this.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
3 steaks the way I have mine cut 1 inch thick!

I would sear well then oven finish to 120 degrees then tent with foil and rest. But I like very rare...

Joined Dec 9, 2017
Thanks for all your insightful replies!

And for the last one – also equally useful – I shall create a whole new thread.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I would either grill or sear, and not bother finishing in the oven unless you want it cooked medium or more (but what a shame).

2mn per side on high, maybe 1 or 2 more mn per side on medium-low, done.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I would probably cook it on the rotisserie on a charcoal grill over a very hot fire....
But then, these days, I feel like cooking anything on the rotisserie....

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Best way????? Which best way?

Salt and pepper several hours, throw on grill.

Salt and pepper several hours, dry with fan, seer high heat in well-seasoned or otherwise NON-STICK pan, oven than if you want.

No seasoning, seer high heat in slightly worn and no longer so non-stick pan non-stick pan. Control the heat so the fond that forms does not burn, but mostly sticks to meat. Removing from heat and flipping steak will release enough juice to deglaze pan so most all collects on meat. Salt and pepper in pan. Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom