How to Clean Mesh Strainers???

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by bobbyjk, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bobbyjk

bobbyjk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This may sound like a really odd question  from me (I've been a chef over 10 years professionally). I use many various sizes of fine mesh strainers depending on the applications, and always have a problem cleaning them properly. A commercial dishwasher isn't even the ideal choice, as it blasts food particles into the mesh. I cook in a group home now, so we do not even have the luxury of a Hobart washer (its all hand washing. Any tips or trick to properly clean fine mesh strainers is welcomed! Thanks.

[email protected]

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Don't know if there's a right or wrong way. But, fwiw, here's how I do it.

First, holding the strainer upside down, I rap the rim down a time or two. This helps dislodge most left behind material. Then, still upside down, I run it under a hard stream of water, brushing it at the same time. Then, using the brush and hot-soapy, I scrub it the normal way, inside and out; again under running water.

The trick, really, is the stream of water pushing residue out the way it came in, instead of trying to force it the other way.

3. bobbyjk

bobbyjk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thanks, almost what i currently do and it is more or less effective, i still wonder amd sometimes worry because of bacteria. Thanks for the reply.