how to break spaghetti in two

Joined Dec 18, 2010
... another “why” question... why break spaghetti. Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

As an academic question/concern I find both the question and answer quite fascinating!

Joined Apr 11, 2018
There's another way to do it.

Instead of bending in open air, bend it over the edge of a countertop like you were breaking a stick over your knee. Two pieces, no problem.

I guess the contact with the countertop at the break point dampens the snap-back effect.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
There's another way to do it.

Instead of bending in open air, bend it over the edge of a countertop like you were breaking a stick over your knee. Two pieces, no problem.

I guess the contact with the countertop at the break point dampens the snap-back effect.
That’s how at least 2 generations of my mother did it.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think it was more with people thinking about the physics. But I have a friend who does so routinely, probably because his mother also did.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Sometimes if I’m only cooking for myself and I’m on a rush I boil the spaghetti in a small pot and it fits better cut in half. It’s pure laziness, I don’t want to wait for a bigger pot of water to boil lol

I've thought those specialized asparagus pots might make a good low volume spaghetti pot....

Joined Sep 26, 2017
If making a small quantity In a small pot I generally choose a cut pasta shape instead.

Spaghetti is a staple in many homes. A lot of people only stock spaghetti and buy other shapes on a special case basis.

Unlike me, who have tons of different shapes except spaghetti. LOL.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Spaghetti is a staple in many homes. A lot of people only stock spaghetti and buy other shapes on a special case basis.

Unlike me, who have tons of different shapes except spaghetti. LOL.
I buy spaghetti, rigatoni, and penne by the 20 lb box. Other shapes seem to appear in the cupboard too but in 1 lb boxes. I love pasta.

Joined Nov 14, 2017
Top Bottom