how strictly do you define "pastry?"

Joined Apr 7, 2010
i'm developing some content and staple menus for my bakery's website right now, and as i've been ticking off the items that i sell, and organizing the information i'd like to provide customers, i've come across a conundrum:

is it amateurish to toss things like cookies and muffins in with my list of available storefront pastries in that technically they're not made with pastry dough? or is it a sensible measure of organization to take, as i'm pretty sure everyone visiting the website will understand what i mean?

am i overthinking this? i just want to present the standard of thoughtful refinement i try to implement in the foods i make. i know i start to get nervous when i read a menu rife with spelling errors-- it doesn't exactly instill a great deal of confidence in what i'm about to order.

thoughts?

Last edited:
Joined Oct 10, 2005
For me, if it has flour and sugar in it, was made and baked in-house, then it's a "pastry item".

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I've never heard of hot water crust pastry before so thanks for the link. I still don't get what "hand raised" is. 

Anyway, as for the OP, to me there is cake, bread and pastry. Cake for desserts and weddings, bread for sandwiches and pastry is everything else. As noted, I'd be more concerned with spelling errors on the menu. We all have spell check now after all. 

But quite frankly, if it looks good enough to eat, I don't really care what it's called or how you spell it. I'd eat two.  

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Well, I guess my take on it is, we're "pastry" chefs.........and we make all those things. Cakes, breads, cookies, pies, croissants, danish, biscuits.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom