How not to get sick?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by christian holmes, Oct 29, 2010.

1. I keep hearing that cooks who take sick days get fired quick.

But I keep getting sick! Does anyone have a strategy for not getting sick? Obviously eating "well", but is there any secret to staying healthy enough to work the line?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Live a healthy lifestyle. Stay away from people who are sick. The same applies not only for cooks but all vocations in life. Possibly see a shrink as stress could be the underlying cause.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  3. cwjalex

cwjalex

Exp:
    Line Cook
    get plenty of sleep, eat well, limit excessive drug and alcohol use, exercise

4. jrock645

jrock645

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Theres a difference between being sick and just feeling crummy. If you work through feeling bad when you can, you won't catch much flack about calling out when you really are too sick to work. 

But like everybody else said... just do the common sense sorta stuff to stay healthy- even with that though, some people just get sick more than others. 

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Define "sick"!

If you mean:
    • running a temperature above 100°F (38°C), or
    • vomiting, or
    • experiencing diarrhea, or
    • are diagnosed as having an infectious disease
    then call in SICK.

Otherwise, suck it up and report for duty!

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Pete.....you're my hero!!!

7. macgregor

macgregor

Exp:
    Line Cook

Someone else touched on it but what kind of sick?  What do you keep getting sick with? Since I have nothing to go by it could be your diet. You might eat well, but you may have gluten intolerance-something thats becoming more and more common today.

Do you notice any pattern with what you eat and how you feel afterwards? 

There are so many things it could be from your lifestyle, lack of excercise, diet, personal life (drama), and how much sleep do you get?

Lack of Vitamin D levels are a huge contributing factor to your overall health.

Do you take any time for yourself to chill out and get some peace. I cant help but think maybe you need to schedule in some fresh air and recharge your batteries.

I dont know what kind of answer you are looking for, you can go simple with over the counter meds like Goodys Powders (headaches), supplements like Holy Basil (stress), simple techniques like  EFT (simple effective technique similar to accupressure) or even take medicine that is made specifically with your immune system in mind (Immunocal comes to mind, it raises your bodies natural levels of Glutathione =Glutathione is to your immune system what gas is to a engine)

In a way I feel asking that question here is like taking your dog to a mechanic. The old school is made from tougher stock I'm afraid so your not going to get much sympathy lol

8. catering101

catering101

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A regular dose of vitamin C might help you avoid getting sick apart from eating healthy food, regular exercise and enough rest. /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

9. macgregor

macgregor

Exp:
    Line Cook

Vitamin C, why didnt I say that? Doh! 

I've even been doing it this last week and I wasnt sick, but I did feel my mood lift and a energy boost. 

To the Poster - I read your bio and can relate to this "My ADD makes me an addict of the immediate and intense, and I can't wait to get acquainted with a real industry kitchen."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    In this business don't call in sick unless you can'y walk or stand.!

11. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    eat your greens, and drink more fresh orange juice.

12. oldfoodguy

oldfoodguy

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Are  you keeping up your liquids? Especially water? I have seen too many chefs/cooks spend shifts and days on end slurping the free soda, especially mountain dew, or in recent years slamming red bull to rev up for a shift.  Caffiene will dehydrate you and leave you feeling crappy at the same time. Follow the rest of the advice too, but do your best to keep the fluids up too.

13. cstanford

cstanford

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Clean up your act.  Quit hanging out in bars after work.  Oh wait, you work in a professional kitchen.  Lost my mind for a moment.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  14. allium

allium

Exp:
    Line Cook

Caffeine, despite what I believed for years, actually isn't a diuretic. But it's probably still less optimal than water for hydration. And all that soda & redbull will likely give you diabetes in the long run (nevertheless, I always slam redbull during the rare lulls in a busy shift).

Drink less booze, eat healthier food regularly. When working doubles, the latter is hard to do, and you'll want a drink at the end of the day; still, unwise.

I always fail to follow this advice. The advice I do follow came from a chef: "Don't get sick. If you do get sick, [series of expletives] and work."

15. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious-

Wash your hands-frequently!

Use warm water, lots of soap and wash for the length of a chorus of "Hit the road, Jack" or "Happy Birthday!"

Use individual paper towels to dry your hands-not your nasty old side towel. 

Don't share side towels.

Sanitize the telephone and controls of any shared appliances-the mixer, blender etc.

Sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow and ask others to do so as well.

16. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     Eat well and live clean....

17. momandchef

momandchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I take a multi-vitamin every day along with vit. c supplement.

Also when I start to feel like I am getting sick (itchy throat, achy etc.) I start popping Echinacea 3 times a day.

My great-grandma also used to drink every night before bed a big glass of water with a shot of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey. May sound crazy but she never got sick and was perfectly healthy till the day she died at the ripe old age of 97 in her sleep.

18. jwill

jwill

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The "secret" is knowing your limits.

Learn the differences between what you HAVE to do, what you NEED to do, and what you WANT to do.  Deal with them, in that order, and you'll be just fine.

19. stl243

stl243

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    first post woo hoo

i get the gummy multivitamins.

gnaw a few on the way to work every morning.  also helps put some pep in my step as well.

c

20. allium

allium

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Used to be a bit more up on nutrition information, but IIRC, vinegar improves insulin sensitivity, usually when consumed a few minutes prior to a meal.