How much shrink can you expect after cooking a steak?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've not weighed them. I always find it intereesting to watch the meat contract as it hits the hot pan though, a related phenomenon.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Years ago I read an article that outlined this. I don't remember details except that it is to be expected to a degree as all meat has moisture that evaporates as well as fat that melts out.
It also greatly depends on what kind of quality you buy and where you buy it from. Naturally a dry aged steak will have less moisture so the cooked weight should more closely match the purchased weight.
I noticed several years ago that all the meat in Walmart was cryovaced and very watery/mushy when you handled the package. I'm sure it would shrink considerably. I had recently eaten steak in central Kansas and was so impressed I stopped buying steak here until I found a good butcher. I'll contact someone in Kansas and see what their experience is and ask my local butcher as well.
I found this with pre brined corned beef when making hash. Discovered that what I was buying was injected with brine. Somewhere over 10 percent. That was an expensive lesson. Corning a fresh brisket eliminated that.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
There's a lot of Mega Mart commodity meat, especially pork, that is 10 - 15% salt water. Always tender, always juicy the label claims. Deep marinated, flavor injected and other various terms that would give the savvy shopper to avoid buying it. Salt water shouldn't cost $8.99 a pound.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I did 1-1/2" New York Strip last night sous vide @ 129 for 1.5hrs. No shrinkage and hardly any jus. A tiny bit when it hit the rippin' hot cast iron (too hot to grill), but man was it delicious - perfect medium rare edge to edge and a really nice crust. I love doing steak this way. I served with rosemary fries and pan sauteed cremini. I should have made that for the American challenge - LOL.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I did 1-1/2" New York Strip last night sous vide @ 129 for 1.5hrs. No shrinkage and hardly any jus. A tiny bit when it hit the rippin' hot cast iron (too hot to grill), but man was it delicious - perfect medium rare edge to edge and a really nice crust. I love doing steak this way. I served with rosemary fries and pan sauteed cremini. I should have made that for the American challenge - LOL.
Yes, you should have!

Put a dollop of Stilton on it and enter it in the British Cookery completion. If you “photoshop” the Stilton on your American steak… I won’t tell anyone. ;)

Last edited:
Joined Dec 29, 2019
This steak is supposed to be six ounce. Turns out it's under 4oz when it's cooked. I've never actually taken a before/after weight but have you? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/man-shames-restaurant-weighing-steak-24651884
They served him a small steak, its not the end of the world, just send it back and get a better steak.
No need to stab the place in the back , they made it right without a squabble.
He made a fool of himself. But he'll be the last to know.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
FWIW:
from USDA Table of Cooking Yields for Meat for Beef, top sirloin, steak, separable lean and fat,
trimmed to 1/8" fat, all grades
Cooking Yield % : 80% (so 6 oz should be 4.8 oz after cooking)
Yield Minimum % : 69% (so 6oz should 4.1 oz worst case scenario after cooking)
Yield Maximum % : 87% (so 6 oz will be 5.22 oz best case scenario after cooking)

I usually figured a general rule of thumb at 25% weight loss for all proteins across the board.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
FWIW:
from USDA Table of Cooking Yields for Meat for Beef, top sirloin, steak, separable lean and fat,
trimmed to 1/8" fat, all grades
Cooking Yield % : 80% (so 6 oz should be 4.8 oz after cooking)
Yield Minimum % : 69% (so 6oz should 4.1 oz worst case scenario after cooking)
Yield Maximum % : 87% (so 6 oz will be 5.22 oz best case scenario after cooking)

I usually figured a general rule of thumb at 25% weight loss for all proteins across the board.
So they guy was .1oz under, worst case scenario. Probably ordered it well done too, serves him right! ;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
The meat contracts because heat shrinks collagen, When you burn to death, your arms assume the "preacher's position" because of this and other things.

The world is 70% water, and your body is 70% water. So expect weight loss with cooking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom