How much food for 150 ppl

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by chef4lifeman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. chef4lifeman

chef4lifeman

Exp:
    Other
    Hello,

I'm new to catering and was asked to cater for 150 ppl at a family reunion.

I was looking for feedback for the portions. I've listed the menu and the portions I thought was appropriate any feedback is greatly appreciated.

fried chicken-150 pieces
    grilled chicken-150 pieces
    fried fish-150 pieces
    collards-3 full size pans
    string beans-3 full size pans
    Mac and cheese-3 full size pans
    potato salad-3 full size pans
    Coleslaw-2 full size pan
    Rolls-150

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Chef and welcome to Cheftalk. This all depends on the size of the ind entree items. When you offer 3 entrees you'll need to adjust the size of of ind portions. You would love for them to take one of each. But, what happens when you have 10 people out of 150 that don't want chix and take 3 pcs of fish. You s/b be good with 2 pans of green beans making it 75 people per pan. Is this function 1/2 men and are there kids ?????? What are the portion sizes of the proteins ??????? also people like rolls so have a few bags over whats needed. Mac and cheese is hard to scoop up on a line. There will be 1/4 left in the pan when you go to change it. It's just the nature of the beast with it sticking to the sides. This would be the only reason why you may need to have 3 4" pans. Once you scrape out the pan you will probably have 3/4 of a 4" pan left over. 

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. chef4lifeman

chef4lifeman

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it.

ChefBillyB-For the fried chicken I was going to do mixed pieces ( Thighs, wings, drumsticks, breasts). Grilled wings or leg quarters.
    Fish I was thinking whiting.

Would you mind sharing the specifics of a breakdown on portions?

There will be men and women. But he mention there being a lot of seniors as well.

I was also thinking to fry the fish on the spot. My first time doing that as well. Any recommendations on timing to preserve the quality of the fish.

Thank you again for the help.