How much do you know about Cholesterol?

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Hmmm,

I've noticed that when you mention the word cholesterol many people automatically cringe and shudder. Many customers, and some cooks I know, do not realize that there are two forms of Cholesterol. Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) and High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL).

LDL (low-density lipoprotein): A molecule that is a combination of lipid (fat) and protein. Lipoproteins are the form in which lipids are transported in the blood.

LDL Cholesterol: The low-density lipoproteins transport cholesterol from the liver to the tissues of the body. LDL cholesterol is therefore considered the "bad" cholesterol.

HDL cholesterol: The high-density lipoproteins transport cholesterol from the tissues of the body to the liver so it can be gotten rid of (in the bile). HDL cholesterol is therefore considered the "good" cholesterol. The higher the HDL cholesterol level, the lower the risk of coronary artery disease.

This link goes into more details:
What is LDL and HDL Cholesterol?

The American Heart Association has recommended that you Know Your Fats. All fats actually aren't bad.

Amer. Heart Org. - Fish Oil Benefits & Research

Id like to know what everyone thinks about cholesterol and fish.

Thanks

Jodi

Joined Aug 4, 2000
On my soapbox, I think that people, especially Americans, preoccupy themselves with cholesterol when they should really concern themselves with MORE VIGOROUS DAILY ACTIVITY. Then, they probably wouldn't worry so much about cholesterol content.

Joined Feb 6, 2002
I agree with your feelings regarding cholesterol. I recently had a question about Omega 3 acids and if they were good for you. With customers getting more and more health consious (sp?) I find that I'm getting more and more questions about the cholesterol levels in foods.

How do you handle those questions? Ive been explaining the different types of cholesterol and referring them to sources for further research if they want. :rolleyes: Customers seem to like us cooks to be more informed and relatively "concerned" about their health.

I do believe this topic would make a good discussion and benefit the home cooks and other guests who visit our board. Though nothing beats a healthy diet and exercise :D , customers actually want to know what a healthy diet is and they automatically turn to the people preparing their meals. We work with food, therefore, we should know. :rolleyes:

What are your thoughts on this??

Jodi

Latest posts

Top Bottom