How many lumps can a sauce contain before it can be called a vegetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Jan 5, 2001
Thought I'd share this. Too bizarre.

According to the January 5th issue of The Economist, this is an actual question being studied by the European Union.

Apparently, an EU tariff on imported sauces is 20% whereas tariffs on vegetables are 288% (protectionism from the South).

There is a certain paranoia that vegetables disguised as thinned sauces will creep their way into the EU.

They are trying to implement the notion that if a sauce contains more than 20% lumps, it should be considered a vegetable. NO KIDDING!!

Many large multinationals took the case to the higher courts and won, but obtained no provisions for sanctions.

Now the EU is offering to revise its threashold to 30%.

...And we wondered why it took them so long to implement the Monetary Union..!

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Joined Dec 8, 1999
The answer is, of course, three. Three shall be the number of thy counting, and the number of thy counting shall be three. Not two, for that shall not be enough, and not four, for that shall be right out.... Oh, wait. That's the instructions for the holy hand grenade. Sorry, my bad!!

Seriously, (as seriously as I can get on this topic) it's unbelievable the lengths to which a bureaucracy will go to protect it's tax base.

Joined Oct 27, 2001
Oh and the US NEVER imposes unfair tariffs, unfairly subsidises it's farmers and then tries to force us all to eat GM food!!!!

And if you think we're bad, exactly how much public money was spent on the Monica Lewinsky case?. . . Which was all about - cigars and dirty dresses???

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Rachel, when I said "a bureaucracy", I meant any of them. If anything, I think ours is the worse, although that could be due to my greater familiarity with it. Sorry if there was a mis-understanding, but please don't jump to conclusions. If you are unsure, ask first instead of resorting to the "bashing" that you were protesting to begin with.

Joined Oct 27, 2001
It's not worse, just bigger and with more money and only one language to consider. . .:blush:

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Sometimes I wish that instead of just communicating over the internet, we would all be able to get together and discuss these things face to face (at least, more often). Then, these little dis-agreements wouldn't happen. It's difficult at times to know what people are trying to say when you are only seeing the written word. If I had replaced the word "a" with "any" in front of the word "bureaucracy", this never would have happened. Amazing, isn't it?

Joined Jul 24, 2001
OMG . Do you see now what kind of injust is performed against poor United States?

Can you believe that this happens in a civilized world?!!!

How can EU protect the poor farmers of the South from becoming Argentineans?

Does EU has this right?

Why EU doesn't hire the "Chicago Boys" to perform their proverbial experiments to the ecomonies of the countries of the South of Europe? They were so succesfull in Argentina.

I have some better ideas to cure this anti-american conspiracy.

Why the goverment of the States doesn't choose kind and just people to govern Europe, as it did for Argentina?

Oh I forgot! The uncivilized Europeans have elections... Even countries like Portugal and Greece have an opinion , they have the same vote with Germany in the conferancies.

And guess the worse of all : None is calling them Southeastern Europe.
Each country of Europe has it's own name, it's own constitution, it's own laws.
Outrageous!!

If all the above do not work, hire Enron to give an advice! ;)

But what worries me most ,is that if EU continues like this, my children will be deprived from their right to taste US delicacies as blue mayo ,this yellow powder you put on mac and cheese and nice things like that.

As for the EURO, I know. It hurts too much...
And it hurts because it's not just "monetary union" .
The EURO is the fruit of the tree that was nourished by the European Ideals and Moral values.
Europe is our tree and each country is part of the roots.
And judging from my country, our roots go deep!

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Greg, I totally agree with you! I wish we could all just think 'global' and share with each other the wonderful foods, practices, and cultures that our own countries contribute to the 'globe', without all the country bashing. Each and every country in the world has its own set of bad politics and practices, and it seems that when we divide ourselves into defending that country, we lose sight of the main reason we're here - to learn, and share, and hopefully, to grow with each other. There's enough badmouthing and bad politics and bad attitudes on the news to go around tenfold - we can choose to fuel that fire and attitude, or we can choose to rise above it.

yes, I know there's lots of 'political' issues regarding food; I see what's happening to the small farmers here in the US and I hate it; my answer is to give them more support; not to rant about government controlled farming policies. I think it's only by giving positive support to issues we care about that will bring about change.

Peace to all. Jackie

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I don't agree with you Bond.
This is a discussion Forum, we came here to discuss and not to exchange compliments.

I hate when we are afraid to discuss things.Politics don't bite. Politics are not fashion I know, but they are and they always be everyday life.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I have obviously offended some of you, and for that I apologise. It was not the intention. It was not meant as a political statement, just a gentle nab at the bureaucracy of any country I suppose. We are just as guilty up here in Canada (if you only knew!!).

As a former student of what has since become the European Union, I guess there are certain things that myself and my collegues take more lightly than some would like us to. Please pardon my insensitivity. I will not apologise however for my distaste for bureaucracy.

My hope was to focus on the lumps in the sauce. This is a food topic, not a political one and I think it got a bit out of hand. Let's move on, shall we?

Joined May 26, 2001
Because if your sauce is lumpy, it could be because you added your flour improperly. So shouldn't they categorize lumpy sauces as "farinaceous?" What are the rates for pastas?:rolleyes::lol:

P.S.: Congratulations, Anneke!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Before this gets a little too out of hand I am locking down this foru. Lets move on to something else.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom