How many flavors do you normally work with in a given dish?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I would be interested to hear what some of you have to say about the amount of flavors in a dish? I have talked with some chefs who say that they don't like to work with more than 3 or 4 flavors with one dish. Still others feel very comfortable working with 10 or more flavors in a particular dish. What are your thoughts?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
For the most part I always stayed within a 3 to 4 flavors range. Once in awhile I would experiment with more, but I was always a minimalist. Especially if you look at the classics they most often stick to only three or four flavors with a dish.
For me there is nothing better than working with just three or four flavors and really bringing out their uniqueness and intensity, especially when the flavors are well matched and compliment one other.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Most of the time I believe in the phrase "Less is more". Working with only a few flavors really shows off the the true nature of the foods you are working with. Look at most of the great "classics" of the culinary world, they tend to let the true essence of the food stand out. But, every once in awhile I like to get crazy and create something very complex with lots of flavors going on. The key to this really knowing the product you are working with inside and out. And also restraint. You cant have all these flavors fighting for the forfront, they must all work in unison with each other, complementing and contrasting with each other

Top Bottom