How many egg yolks do you use for mayonaise?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Feb 15, 2013.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    How many egg yolks do you use for mayonaise?

I made some the other day, with 2 yolks, cuz one didn't look like enough, but it didn't seem to come out right.

Other stuff I've read online said you can use only 1 yolk and as much oil as you want as long as you have the right amount of liquid.  If that's true, what exactly is the right amount of liquid?

TIA

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I advise watching Good Eats episode titled Mayo clinic. It helped me in making mayo successfully and it explains how lecithin, found in egg yolks is the emulsifying agent. It allows you suspend the acid of your choice in water. Make sure your eggs are fresh. I use a stick blender. Honestly though, the amount of egg is determined by the batch size. How much mayo are you trying to make?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe/reviews/index.html

3. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    For home use I normally use

2 egg yolks

1 tbls lemon juice

2 tsp mustard (your choice of type)

salt and pepper to taste

+ / - 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Granted other than the 2 egg yolks I normally just eyeball everything else

Key to making mayonnaise is to add the oil very slowly at first until you get it to the consistency that you like (and yes you can add to much)

Depending on how lazy I'm feeling or how fast I want to be done I use either a whisk or regular blender

4. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    With a yolk from a large egg in the USA i add a scant cup of oil as well as dry mustard, white vinigar, 2tsp and salt & white pepper. Here in Sweden the eggs are a bit smaller so i cut the oil back to just short of 2dl, as well as the dry mustard, vinigar and salt & white pepper. Side note, I change both the typrs of mustard and the vinigar ( acid) depending on what I'm serving it with. Ie I may use a hot and sweet mustard and white balsamic vinigar if I am going to serve it with some elderberry and lingon grav lax.

My 2 cents
    David

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Usually I'm just making a small batch for two, s one yolk is enough.

mjb.

6. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013