How long will unopened heavy whipping cream last in the fridge

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ladytrucker, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ladytrucker

ladytrucker

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have 3 cartons of Heavy Whipping Cream in the fridge that are 5 months old.... well, I opened one and it looks and smells normal.  Can anyone tell me if its safe to use>?

I'm an old hillbilly, so my first inclination is to use it, lol.  But I thought I'd just better get some feedback first.

~.':♥:'.~ LadyTrucker ~.':♥:'.~   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

2. shavy

shavy

Exp:
    Private Chef
    It lasts just shy of forever.  If it smells okay and isn't lumpy, you shouldn't have any problems using it.  (Though I tend to play it safe and use older cream in recipes that call for it to be heated, as opposed to whipping it up and serving it.)

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If its ultra pasteurized it will last a long long time. If regular usually a week after date stamped on it

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    A week past use-by date sounds a bit conservative, Ed. If it's unopened you should get at least several weeks past the use-by date.

Again, folks need to understand the difference between at-home and professional usage. I just dumped three gallons of milk, at work, cuz they didn't rotate the stock (again!), and these were use-by dated January 15.

Do you think for one second I'd have dumped them at home? That sound you hear is my hollow laughter.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Make a cup of coffee. Drizzle a little of the cream in. If it curdles, throw the container out.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    KYH.. If you see milk out of date  and you do not want to use Freeze it, You can use for cooking.  And yes if unopened a few weeks but, opened non ultra pasteurized  watch out and depends on temp in fridge and how often fridge opens and closes. Most today are ultra pasteurized .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    If you see milk out of date  and you do not want to use Freeze it,

Unfortunately I have no choice, Ed. They insist that we flush it. I'd have gladly taken it home, as it irks me to waste any kind of food. But, good grief! Three gallons of perfectly good milk!

8. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think, it is 6 months from the date of production or it maybe longer. :)

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Like Ed says.  ULTRA PASTEURIZED lasts longer.

10. bkrkd

bkrkd

Exp:
    Other
    great advice about the coffee trick!!  thank you.  

11. fifthmoon

fifthmoon

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I just used heavy cream the use by date was 1/14/2013. I made a base for cream soup out of it today. I think when it's a past the use by date for weeks it's safe to use it in cooked recipes. I wouldn't use it for whipping or uncooked recipes.